Converting a "place" to a "project"

I have created an umbrella project and want to bring an already created place under the Umbrella project. That does not seem possible. Is it possible / easy to change a place to a project? Or do I have to start for scratch? Thanks.

You don’t really “convert” a place to a project - what you need to do is create a project associated with that place. To do that:

1. go to the projects page, https://www.inaturalist.org/projects
  2. click the “Start a Project” button
  3. scroll down to “Collection Projects” and click “Get Started”
  4. name the project (can be the same name as the place) and add a brief summary description
  5. under “Observation Requirement” enter your place under “Include Places”
    (Optional: edit other project requirements)
  6. scroll down to the bottom and click “Done”

You should then be able to add the new project to your umbrella project.

2 Likes

And just to be clear, once a place exists in iNaturalist, it can be used to help select observations to include in any number of projects. One would never need to re-create the place.

2 Likes

Under “Observation Requirements” I see “Include Projects” not “include places”. And the search only appears to list projects when I do a search not places.

Thanks, see my reply to twainwright.

umbrella projects collect projects, not places. So every entity under the umbrella has to be a project

2 Likes

Thank you. But a project could have other projects and/or places under it?

the type of project you created only allows you to attach multiple projects to it. you’ll need to start over and select “Collection” project.

1 Like

That is what you’ll see under your existing “umbrella” project. I am talking about creating a new collection project that collects observations for your place, so you can add the new one as a project under the umbrella. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The way things work is:

• Umbrella projects combine multiple collection (or traditional) projects
  • Collection projects collect observations based on specific places, taxa, or other criteria

So, you need a collection project to “sit” between your umbrella project and the place.

Thanks very much all for answers. I finally understand the small minor complications.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.