Different observation count on phone vs laptop

Hello!

As I approach my 2,000th observation, I’ve been keeping a close tally on my progress through both the iPhone app and my laptop computer, using Google Chrome. There’s one issue, though: the two list different numbers of observations! The computer says I’ve made 1,898 observations, whereas I apparently have 1,910 on my phone. Does anyone know what could be behind this, and which one is more accurate?

Also, just to be on the safe side, I included screenshots from both the app and browser versions.

1 Like

i don’t know about the iPhone app in particular, but i believe that in the Android app, it’s possible to make an observation and then sync it later. until it’s synced, it’ll live only on your device. so i wonder if you have some observations on your iPhone that may need to be synced?

3 Likes

I don’t think I have observations to sync, but then, I also don’t know how to check to make sure. How would I go about doing that, out of curiosity?

i’m not sure how it works on iPhone. on Android, there’s a setting for Automatic Upload (Auto Sync). I suppose if there’s such a setting in iOS< then you could check it (if it’s unchecked), and then make sure you’re connected to the internet.

2 Likes

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&user_id=thetorterra&verifiable=any 1898…

1 Like

The web count should be the correct one. We’re looking into why the iOS app number is not matching it. If you log out of the app and log back in, does the number go to 1898?

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I logged out of the app and then logged back in, but the app still showed 12 more observations than the web count did.

1 Like

I have the same issue: 740 on my iPhone and 695 on web.

Should be pretty easy to compare the two db queries in the code.

1 Like

OK, I noticed something while scrolling through my observations on my iPhone from between Jan 5 - 11th. A bunch of observations are duplicated in a weird way with a data-less version. There are 45 of these and they account for the full difference between the observation counts on my phone and desktop. See attached screenshot

1 Like

These were uploaded with the iOS app? If you log out and log back in, do the duplicates disappear?

I uninstalled the app and re-installed and now the correct count lower count that matches desktop is on my phone.

BUT I cannot access / browse older submissions via my phone. They seem to stop around 1/19. There are some older ones, but they appear to be available due to their presence in my recent activity feed.

I can see them all if I use the explore feature and search for observations by me, but not via my observations “me” tab.

Yes, the iOS app only caches your last 200 observations or so, plus observations from your activity feed.

Do you remember what your internet connection was like when you uploaded those observations that showed duplicates? Is there anything they have in common?

No memory of uploading those. It was a while ago and they span more than one day. Is there a way to increase the cache size or download more in settings or is that fixed / immutable? I used to have all my observations accessible (I know it is my fault for deleting the app).