Discrepancy in the way age of observations is shown in grid/map views

In search results on the iNat web platform, the age of observations is helpfully indicated by abbreviations like 2h, 5d, 3mo, 8y, etc. When viewing results in grid view, the ages shown are the time since observation, but in map view it shows time since submission. I can’t think of any good reason for this. Is it a bug? Example:

I have observed Chlorophorus varius twice – once last week and once 8 years ago in 2015. However, I didn’t upload the 2015 observation to iNat until 2021. When viewing my Chlorophorus varius sightings in grid view, my older observation shows as 8 years old, but in map view it shows as 2 years old. See here circled in red:

I would have expected both to show “8y”, or at least both to be consistent in what they are indicating. Does anyone have any good reason why it should be shown this way?

1 Like

I don’t know of one - I also would expect the age to be consistent on the same page regardless of which of the three views was chosen.

Yes, it’s a bit confusing, but in the map view it shows the exact observation date. So there was maybe just “space” available for additional information … ?

Exactly thinking the same - showing both the exact date and the time since observation would be redundant. Not saying that there isn’t room for improvement addressing these kinds of design inconstincies across different web views (or devices…)