Display "cultivated/wild" information higher on the page

Hi, for the present “Occasional” is not very helpfull. On a page like this one, there is a big empty space before the evaluation of the quality of an observation, and its takes time to scroll down. As it is an essential data to help identifying a species it would be of great help to display clearely cultivated-captivity or spontaneous-wilde right obove or under the image. It would remind as well to photographersnot to forget it : for plants, one needs to reminde it 3/10 times !
Thanks.

What do you mean? It’s written on top of it.

1 Like

? That is the Casual grade designation, which doesn’t tell us that it’s captive/cultivated.

There have been previous proposals to split out Captive/Cultivated/Not wild into its own “tag”, like Casual/Needs ID/Research Grade, so that an observation could be both Needs ID and captive/cultivated

2 Likes

Then I didn’t understand what “evaluation of the quality of an observation” means which is a casual grade as for now there’s no other.

1 Like

I believe @begalma is referring to the specific item in the Data Quality Assessment section: “Organism is wild? Yes/No”.

3 Likes

Wecome to the fourm @begalma!

The DQA section is in it’s own panel, below the observation details panel. If any of the observation detail sections on the right hand side are open/expanded (by clicking the greater-than / down-carat symbols), then it will lengthen that column and push the DQA further down. Collapsing them all again will have the DQA come back up again. Conversely, a large amount of comments in the observation will push the DQA panel down far below the right hand column. But regardless, the DQA panel will be immediately after which ever is the longest, so it doesn’t get “lost” as such…

eg.

[edit]
If it helps, a quick way to get to it can be using page navigation keys on the keyboard, eg for me, “End” and then “Page Up” land me perfectly on viewing the DQA section, and then “Home” takes me back to the top of page

3 Likes

Further, the most likely place that an identifier will be marking captive/cultivated, is in the identify page.

When you strike a cultivated plant that has not had the captive/cultivated DQA setting made, it will show in the top right as “Needs ID”. Down the bottom you will see the option to set the DQA with your vote of cultivated, which will effectively (assuming no other votes in play) change the observation to casual for that reason. Then once casual, the “Needs ID” wording at the top will change to “Casual” in grey. So for identifiers using the Identify page it is very easy to see what the current settings are, without the need to go and see the DQA section.

1 Like

Hi, I switched to the English version to get the same interface vocabulary. It take me a long time to realise that “Casual” on top was generally linked to “Organism is wild” much lower in the page (but it can be other criterias) . Therefor I was scrolling each time before giving an ID, and I am probably not the only one.

I suggest to end the use of confusing tags on top : “Needs ID” meaning “Organism is wild”, and “Casual” meaning “captiv/cultivated”. Instead, there should be separated tags, as a wild organism can be out of criterias for different reasons, and cultivated plants can need an ID as well.

1 Like

Casual does not just mean captive/cultivated. It means there is something that prevents the record from being able to attain research grade. This can be set as cultivated, missing photos, missing a date, missing a location, that it is flagged among other things.

1 Like

iNat is conflating two separate things, which makes it very confusing.

iNat needs to say
either Not wild instead of Casual
or Missing data instead of Casual

And even more confusing if English is not your first language. No motivation to try and translate Casual from iNatese to your chosen language.

4 Likes

Exactely ! In French the translation is “informel” = “informal”, which doesn’t really make sense for a naturalist.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make ANY sort of sense in English - a bit Alice in Wonderland words mean what I want them to!

2 Likes

It’s easy… if you don’t want your observations to be casual, then wear a tuxedo/gown when making them…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Mz_kyRlWY
“It’s like picking up trash… in dresses”
…and isn’t iNat a beautiful mess :)

3 Likes

Yes, this!
As a translator into German I have been staying away from this term, and even though I do not like the current translation at all, it has become so established now that I would not dare to make a change.

I feel that a survey in this forum about the most wanted change to the site would result in the lack of an own ‘not wild’ banner on top of the suggestions

2 Likes

Sob - I only brought a field guide, not a ballgown!

2 Likes

find a piece of ribbon and tie a bow on it. That will make it fancy enough… failing that, you’ll just have to talk in a posh voice… and hope it doesn’t disturb the subject…

2 Likes