Easier access to text formatting in comments

Yes - I was just suggesting that they could be fixed manually by the comment owners, since there’s unlikely to be many of them. A programming solution isn’t really required - users just need to made aware of backslash escaping so they can fix any problems themselves.

1 Like

You might have noticed, but if you haven’t, this is now live on observation pages. If you find bugs, let us know.

11 Likes

Well done, thanks @kueda

Possibly not a bug, but something to note. If using the “quote” button you need to insert a line space to escape it. Otherwise the whole comment is a quote.

Would prefer that quoted material be the same size text as the rest of the comment. Now it’s a larger font - if quoting more than a few words, the larger font takes up a lot of space.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s just one of the quirks of Markdown formatting.

I’m not a huge fan of this either, though we’re just using the default Bootstrap typography here, so presumably some designer thought that was good form at some point. @abhasm, how would you feel about bringing it down to regular text size and just distinguishing blockquotes with that line to the left?

4 Likes

nice, but minor notes:

1. the screen to edit a comment lacks the formatting bar and displays formatting that is slightly inconsistent with what shows up on the observation page:

2. the screen to edit an identification lacks the formatting bar and preview altogether.

3. the Identify screen also seems to lack the text formatting bar and preview in comments and identifications.

4. also not in the Android app. the Android app formatting is slightly different, but i like it because it has more noticeable bold and normal sized quoted text.

5. in the Android app, the Activity (notification) previews of comments don’t seem to render the Markdown correctly.

6 Likes

Thanks Tony for making this update happen

Thanks, but I don’t do any coding for iNat, I just serve as a go-between as far as features go.

1 Like

This… might not be quite possible. Those little snippets are aggressively truncated. I doubt we’re parsing HTML there and if we parsed the Markdown we’d need to deal with truncating in the middle of HTML tags. We do this on the web in a few places but… it’s not pleasant.

Formatting buttons should now be available on Identify (thanks to a volunteer!). The same person has a pull request open for inline editing of comments and IDs with the text editor, just needs a little more work before merging.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: What kind of dev environment should I have if I want to contribute to iNat?

I have just noticed that when one edits a comment on iNat now, it is edited “in place” rather than opening a new page. This is AWESOME! Thank you :smiley:

4 Likes

That was more work generously volunteered by https://www.inaturalist.org/people/todtb, who also added the keyboard shortcuts. I don’t think they use the Forum, but you could always thank them on iNat.

6 Likes

Thank you, Ken-ichi! I have thanked them :-)

1 Like