Add a WYSIWYG editor for journal posts

I think this was discussed in the forum last year, but I’m not sure what the status is anymore. It would be great if we didn’t have to type in the html tags to change the text format of journal posts. I make a lot of journal posts in my projects and it would save time if I could format by clicking buttons like on this very forum post :smile:

That would be a great idea!

Would something similar to Discourse’s text entry system be OK with you?

4 Likes

That would certainly be sufficient for my needs. And not to take focus off of Journal posts, but it would be great to have this for comment fields too – on observations, flags, or whatever – or any other long-text fields. If not a big drag on system resources, of course…

3 Likes

I think we’re hoping to do something like this site-wide as well. It really is nice.

7 Likes

I would definitely use a feature like this a lot!

3 Likes

The system here in Discourse would be fine with me!

2 Likes

OK, I’m going to close this then as it’s part of a site-wide implementation that we are looking into.

4 Likes

Bump! Now that I’m starting to use blog posts I realize this would be very helpful. Actually with having a simple WYSIWYG editor with few features like this forum has it would be a good upgrade.

1 Like

Journals are based on older code so we won’t be adding anything substantive to them until they’re rewritten. When that happens, I think we’ll add a markdown style editor and preview panel like comments on observation detail and Identify pages currently have.

2 Likes