Evidence of Presence: A Lot

What’s up with “Evidence of Presence: A lot”? I saw it while identifying an Unknown clump of insect eggs. I added an ID of Pterygota, then decided to annotate them, so I added Alive or Dead: Cannot be determined and Life Stage: Egg, then went to do Evidence of Presence and saw this:Screenshot 2021-10-31 104552
Was this intentional? Is it specifically for eggs? If so, it seems to go against what I’ve heard over and over from iNat staff: An observation is for one organism.

Edit: I removed the Egg annotation and it still showed “A lot” as an option, so that’s not it. A random observation of mine (a bird) did not have the option, and neither did a random insect observation, which had “Molt” instead.

3 Likes

That looks like a bug to me. I am not seeing it, either

3 Likes

Can you make it a bug report then? I was going to post it as one but thought I’d put it here first.

I tried looking at that taxa and can’t replicate it so i don’t think i can make a bug report. Maybe it was a one-off.

Well, I don’t really know what the rules for that are, so okay.

i am actually not entirely sure what you mean by bug report, i think posting it here is good, thank you for doing so. and, if it recurs make sure to say so. If not, i guess it isn’t an issue really.

Well, separate messages about this bug in a separate topic in bugs part of forum.

I meant as a new topic in the Bug Reports category. I thought Forum Moderators could move posts to their own topic like that.

1 Like

oh sorry, yeah that is a moderator ability but i don’t remember how to do it, can ask another mod if you want.

I doubt it’s fixable without reproduction steps.

2 Likes

Double-checked and there’s definitely no A lot value.

Which browser are you using?

1 Like

I can’t help with the bug but I think it’s funny how nonsensical/sensical it is.

“Evidence?”
“Oh, yeah. A lot.”

15 Likes

Thanks for splitting the post off. I gotta re remember how to do that. I’m not good with that sort of thing.

:laughing: yeah it sounds kinda defensive or something. I’ve got PLENTY of evidence, why you asking me, annotation?

Maybe it’s a translation thing.

6 Likes

Chrome.

I have noticed sometimes Chrome will auto-translate pages already in English if it detects a word it thinks is a different language, which will change parts of pages into nonsense. I wonder if this could be an incident of that.

5 Likes

According to Google Translate ‘molt’ means ‘a lot’ in Catalan, so it would seem this is the answer.

7 Likes

Pretty accurate this is, and this is getting to be an issue on mobile browsers “a lot”.

I recently sent some english langage tests to some “hindi speakers”. The entire test got translated into english and those folks scored the highest possible score that was possible. They posted a screen shot and I realised that the auto translate of entire pages was the reason. So back to pen and paper for these tests now.

3 Likes

molt - Catalan - a lot (similar to Italian molto bello)

There is a popup box sometimes

• Rate this translation
  • This is not Catalan.

@fluffyinca is your screen language ever Spanish? Might the autotranslate have got confused between languages?

1 Like

It’s always English. However, I did recently start using the “Translate to English” option while identifying to translate placeholders, comments and notes, which are often in Spanish. It’s possible that was still ‘on’ when I went to annotate. I’m not really sure how it works.

Okay, this is definitely the problem! The overenthusiastic autotranslate picked it up and “translated” it. I was actually using it on that observation. I just tried again (clicking translate on the Notes section, then opening Evidence of Presence. I was able to catch the moment when it switched from Molt to A lot. Here is the observation if anyone else wants to see: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/41813833

4 Likes