Firefox Browser and iNaturalist

Hey all! I’ll delete this if it’s not appropriate to it post here, but I’ve been having some trouble recently. I’ve switched over from using Chrome to Firefox but have noticed an issue with using iNat on it. Whenever I try to upload more than just a few obs, it freezes and needs to process them for a while… however, this isn’t the case with Chrome. Has this happened to any other iNat users who use Firefox? If so, how did you fix it? If not, how could I?

Again, sorry if I shouldn’t be posting this, but it’s getting a bit annoying - thanks again!

1 Like

Firefox user here, not having the issue.

1 Like

Same. Never had this problem

Also Firefox, never had that.

I also haven’t had issues. It might be a browser extension causing issues? You could try running in Safe Mode (without extensions) and see if that helps.

4 Likes

I use iNat on Firefox and have not had any problems (on a Mac). The suggestion by cthawley to turn off any extensions you’re using is a good idea.

I have been using Firefox and iNat for 3.5 years, and only recently started having an issue where some of my photos corrupt during uploading and have to be done again, sometimes more than once. I got a new computer recently and figured that had something to do with it.

Also use Firefox for all my iNat for years - no issue other than I had to dump my adblocker this week because after a few years it all of a sudden was causing major blockage. Now everything is back to normal. So, as has been said, check your extensions.

I also use Firefox and have never had an issue with iNat. I did when it was my computer and when I got a new computer it was fine. Good luck, hope you get it solved.

I run in to this same issue from time to time, annoying yes but I can live with it so far.

Yes, I have had a lot of problems with Firefox and Safari with not only uploading, but also viewing observations. I have switched to Chrome as well, and it is better on my desktop, but still causes me problems on my laptop. I would love to know how to fix it! The only browser extensions I have are LastPass and Adobe Acrobat.

I use Firefox as my main browser and haven’t encountered these issues. Best thing to do would be to first turn off all extensions and see if that helps.

If it doesn’t, please open up the console on the browser and share a screenshot that includes the console. Please include URLs of pages as well. Without specific information like that, there’s not much we can do to help.

Shouldnt this be under “Bug Reports”?

" Are you experiencing a technical issue with iNaturalist? This category is the place to report it."

See above.
If turning extensions off does help, enable them again one at a time testing in between until your work out the culprit.

I considered putting it there, but it isn’t necessarily a bug with iNaturalist and likely on my side so I decided against it.

I had two extensions and one theme on. I disabled the extensions, and then the theme for good measure, but didn’t seem to have any effect.

I wasn’t quite sure what you meant, so I took one of the console and inspect panels - sorry if this isn’t what you were looking for.

Thanks! It’s the top image. It looks like this is the upload page. And did you experience the freezing and long processing here?

Yes, I did. It is the upload page - the only thing with observation pages is that the images take a minute to load, but that could just be how Firefox works.

How large are the images? Could you please send some to help@inaturalist.org so I can test them out?