Flaw in the way broken uploads get handled

Platform : Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome (but I believe also Firefox or Edge)

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem : Our internet sometimes drops connectivity for several minutes or more, and then reconnects. If that happens during the time when I’m uploading observations, then the result is that some of the observations are trashed because there’s no way to get iNat to retry the uploads. This seems like it would be a simple fix; if there are broken image uploads, shouldn’t it try to reinitiate the upload?

this sounds like the same thing as what was previously described here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/retry-uploads-on-the-browser-uploader/34628

1 Like

It does sound like the same issue, although it was hitting that poster far worse than it is me. For me the internet outage needs to be at least 30 seconds for the upload to fail. The desired fix is the same though: an automatic reinitiation of stalled uploads (preferable), or at least a reload button that doesn’t require you to re-do all of the combining and identifying.

i don’t disagree with what you’re proposing, but for now, you do have an indicator that tells you exactly which photos failed to upload. you could just drag those specific photos back onto the observation “cards” that have the big red error indicators. it sounds like you’re just restarting from scratch, which seems like a potentially less efficient process.

4 Likes

Ahh, see I was unaware that I could drag photos onto the cards. That’s helpful, and I’ll try it next time this happens, thanks!

1 Like