For those of you who are visual artists, do you like to draw/paint anything from nature?

I enjoy sketching and drawing as a hobby (though I could be more consistent in practicing more often). As a kid I always enjoyed drawing animals. For a while I was obsessed with cheetahs and most of my drawings revolved around them. Later on this branched out into other creatures, including mythical ones such as dragons and gryphons, which I tried to base on real animals as much as I could.

These days I still tend to draw animals and birds, though I have tried drawing flora and landscapes as well. Plants may seem simple enough to the untrained eye but they can be a real challenge!

Iā€™d love to hear from fellow artists who enjoy nature as a pastime and even as professionals.

12 Likes

Yes, I like to do pencil sketches of Jumping spiders.

39 Likes

you might be interested in this thread: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/any-nature-sketching-enthusiasts-out-there/1536.

2 Likes

Whoa those are really good! Which species are those?

1 Like

Naphrys acerba, Eris militaris, Platycryptus undatus, Naphrys pulex.

2 Likes

woah! those are fantastic!!

2 Likes

I do draw fish. Sometimes birds as well, but Iā€™m much better at fish. Need more practice with birds!

2 Likes

Yes! Nature is my biggest inspiration which is probably a common answer for many but itā€™s an honest one.

4 Likes

I love sketching and although portraiture is what I do the most, Iā€™m trying to incorporate whatever is in my life, and hummingbirds are my current love. Why I picked one of the most restless creatures on earth is a mystery ā€¦ :thinking: ā€¦ but they really are endlessly entertaining.

I agree with your observation about plant life being challenging, were I a little less concerned with detail it would be much easier, but the other side of my brain cringes at the thought of someone seeing my work and thinking ā€œbut thatā€™s not rightā€¦ā€.

How often do you draw?

I havenā€™t wandered too far from home with materials, but often have a 2B pencil and pad when I know Iā€™m going to be sitting around a long time. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to get out of my comfort zone - I live in an unusual place with lots of interesting things to sketch (Arizona, Sonoran Desert).

3 Likes

I love to draw wildlife!

26 Likes

Iā€™m very far from a professional artist and I donā€™t practice as often as I perhaps ought to. Iā€™m admittedly self-taught, and I guess it shows in the composition of some of the below drawings Iā€™ve done.

Like I said, there is vast room for improvement for myself (especially with regarding to shading and perspective) and currently Iā€™m trying to learn and re-learn the basics, the art fundamentals, to help improve my skills.

8 Likes

I enjoy drawing; and recently got a bit into ā€˜paintingā€™ on my tablet.

12 Likes

Uploading: large-1.jpgā€¦
I love to draw!!! The birds are all drawn from photos or images in bird ID guides, then I took the birds and placed them in a setting doing what I wanted them to do.

14 Likes

I used to draw all the time, but nowadays Iā€™ve lost much motivation. I do enjoy working on nature subjects though. In high school art class I have made several works.

Cethosia cyane (Tiger Lacewing butterfly), watercolor and water soluble graphite (or something like that, I donā€™t remember)

Painting sketch of some squirrel using acrylic, practice on texturingā€¦

ā€¦part of some larger experimental mish-mash.

Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning Cloak), on the corner of a larger acrylic painting.

As a plant person now, I have tried to work on botanical art, with mixed results.

Nemastylis geminiflora (Prairie Pleatleaf), acrylic on canvas, unfinished. I will forever be bothered by the fact that the flower in the foreground has two stamens as opposed to the three it should have.

Unfinished watercolor, various plants portrayed: Quercus stellata, Fraxinus albicans, Ulmus rubra, Cornus drummondii, Veronica polita are visible. I found venation and shading on leaves in unified combination is particularly hard. I have looked through a few different methods of portraying venation in leaves, but havenā€™t quite practiced as much.

Otherwise, I do enjoy landscape painting as well. Back when I was younger, I made cutouts of butterflies and fish species, and maybe several sketches of birds. Now that Iā€™m headed to college, Iā€™m not sure how often Iā€™ll be painting/drawing.

21 Likes

My art combines fantasy and reality. I will make the main subject a fantasy one ā€“ fay-folk, perhaps, or people from an imaginary past ā€“ and place them in a setting of real species of flora (and sometimes fauna). I might play with the relative scale, too.

3 Likes

and yet you donā€™t show us? i want to see

2 Likes

I am inspired by nature quite a lot. Often, what attracts me to an organism is the graphic nature of it: the pattern on calligrapher flies, the variety of lady beetle patterns, a spread of seeds on stems.

I was creative for decades but never drew. When I went to school for graphic design in late middle-age, I had to take some drawing, illustration classes. I did okay and I was most engaged when I was drawing a leaf, seed pod, or still life of found nature items. My profile pic is one I did in color (most were in ink or charcoal).

Once out of school, Iā€™ve rarely drawn much. Iā€™m very creative at the moment and I do some drawing but not tons. But all my drawings are of nature in some aspect.

school work:
beetle

oak_leaf-sm

seedpod-sm

shelf_fungus-sm

slate-sm

more recent work, Iā€™ve been creating series of ā€˜art cardsā€™ on the backs of old business cards. I do a wide range of stuff along with some slightly larger slow stitching / textile pieces.

17 Likes

I will have to see if I have any appropriate ones accessible for scanning.

For all of you who do create art of any type by hand: continue the practice even though you think you donā€™t ā€œ have timeā€ . Make time.
Someday, through natural aging or accident you may no longer be Able. Itā€™s difficult to adjust to the inability.
MAKE ART EVERY DAY.

6 Likes

Good for you, trying a lot of different animals. I tend to hammer on one thing for quite a while and havenā€™t branched out much.

Are you drawing from pictures or from life? It has always been hammered into me to draw from life as much as possible, but thatā€™s a whoooolllllle different story when youā€™re talking about animals.

1 Like