Generate iNat Reports?

Is there a way to generate a report of specific parameters? Maybe export to an Excel or CSV?

I live in Montana and have been trying to recruit and cheerlead over the last year I’ve been on iNat. We have a small and rural population, and commensurately we only have 30k observations in the state. I interact a lot with and rely on the the handful of power users active in the area, and have long been considering running an iNat Montana (or maybe a broader iNat Northern Rockies) blog to provide a locus for the community to feel more like a community than a loose connection of users.

One thing that would be really helpful to see the big picture and interesting details would be a report. Things in Montana like:

• Pie chart of observations by certain taxa (the usual categories of plants, birds, insects, fungi, bacteria, etc.) to date.
  • Trends: Total obs vs. RG obs, taxa obs numbers over time
  • List of taxa by % of RG, to organize efforts to clean them up as a group.
  • Call out of any NEW or RARE (n<5 or 10?) observations that week.
  • First posts by users, to call out a welcome to them.

Etc. etc.

I know iNat has the data, but I’m not sure how to pull it. Maybe this needs to bump over to the Feature Request forum, but I thought I’d post here first in case there is a way to do this.

Thank everyone!

4 Likes

On any observations page filtered how you want, open the “filters” menu, and choose “download” at the bottom right, which will give you some options for how to download the data.

2 Likes

I don’t know how much you’ve looked around, but I was pointed towards this in the Tutorials section
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-use-inaturalists-search-urls-wiki/63/51
And this supplement in Tony Rebelo’s journal
https://www.inaturalist.org/journal/tonyrebelo/17377

I have found both to be very useful, tho I am just starting to work my way through them.

2 Likes

I would also really appreciate a tool that would provide a “new to a region”/“new to a project” notification or report.

I’m circling back around to this. It seems like Montana observations are coming in at a faster rate than I’ve seen before.

Can someone walk me through how to I could make a observation rate chart by area (ie. Montana)? Just like you can find for all of iNat, but filtered down to the area only, rather than global.

1 Like

i saw that this got automatically bumped. is this still a relevant topic of discussion 2 years later, or should this be closed at this point?

EDIT: looks like this is related to a later feature request https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/create-trends-and-graphs-stats-pages-and-associated-widget/13690.

1 Like

Well it’s still something I would like, anyway. I was just thinking the other day how I wish I could see my observation trends and other data I mentioned in these posts.

i provided a few ideas of how to get data in the other thread.

maybe this:

not first posts, but you can observations by users who created their accounts in the last week:

… i think that covers everything discussed here except “rare”, since that’s hard to define. the tools may not provide exactly what you need, but they should get you really close in most cases. if you need more information, just say so.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.