How can I create audio file from video?

If I have a video of an animal it is pretty easy for me to take a screen shot so I have a photo for iNat. However sometimes I need the audio from a video. What can I use to do this? I would rather a program than a website because of my slow internet connection. I have Adobe Premiere Elements, but I don’t know if that is a feature of the program. If not, is there a free or inexpensive program I can download?

Someone on the forum mentioned Zamzar, so I’ve been using that. I don’t know how much it costs because I’m just using the free version (it has a limit of 2 file conversions per day). I’m sure there’s better conversion programs out there though.

I don’t have Adobe Premiere Elements, but looks like you may be able to File > Export > Audio or “Export & Share” > Audio https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/export-and-share.html#audio

2 Likes

Thanks so much bouteloua! Just tried that and it worked. :grin:

2 Likes

I would bet others will look at this post. So, here is what I do. I need WAV files for eBird audio entries. So, I take a video when I am in the field and convert it to a WAV file later.

1. I use VLC (portable version) to convert video file formats to mp3.
    There are instructions here. HowToGeek is a good place to look for things like this.
    If you use Facebook, there is a group called Geek Talk where you can post just about any tech questions.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2719/how-to-convert-video-files-formats-to-mp3-with-vlc/

2. I use CDEX (portable version) to convert mp3 to WAV.

I used portable apps from the website portableApps.com because I rely on library computers. You can get a lot of things at that website.

2 Likes

Thanks Ken!

FWIW, iNat accepts mp3 files so step two isn’t necessary if anyone just wants to post to iNat.

1 Like

for free programs, you could use something like Audacity to extract audio from video.

2 Likes

Good to know. I just started uploading observations regularly last year. So, if I have some audio to upload, I will remember that. I hope I can get some birds or frogs.

1 Like

In Quicktime, you can also just export as audio only.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.