How many votes needed to overturn and ID?

How many votes are needed to overturn a vote on an observation? I’ve searched but have not found a discussion that mentions this. I’m asking because there’s an observation https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/6859991#activity_comment_e9dbf950-f83b-4f81-96ba-f1666e615c42 that currently has 3 vote for Corallorhiza and 6 votes for Bletia, most of which used to be Hexalectris, before the taxon swap. That’s a 2:1 ratio. Why is that not sufficient to fix the ID? How many votes are required? The Corallorhiza votes are by members who have been inactive since 2017.

Apparently this post must have at least 5 characters.

1 Like

The standard is that more than 2/3 of the votes must be for species A before it becomes Research Grade. Maybe it takes that many to change this to Bletia, too.

1 Like

We’re at 2/3. So we just need one more?

1 Like

That is my understanding. (I may be wrong, of course.)

2/3 plus 1 is the math, I believe. Standard case is one maverick vs 3 agreeing.

3 Likes

Woohoo! Thanks for the vote. The confirmed your math.

Now we can go back to disagreeing over whether it’s spicata or arizonica. :)

1 Like

Inevitably, there will be comments explaining in minute detail why it is obviously spicata X arizonica.

1 Like

Heheh - unlikely, since H. arizonica is almost entirely self-pollinating. That said, until recently, it was considered a variety of H. spicata.

1 Like

If you click the “About” button for the Community ID on any observation it gives you a pop up explaining how it is calculated and a detailed breakdown for that observation. Some of the content for that observation looks like:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.