How to most easily change location to everywhere

When I go to observe, I’d like to be able to quickly look at all observations for a species for the entire planet. By default for me, the location is blank but acts like it is restricted to North America and vicinity. For location, I’ve tried typing in “earth,” “planet,” and other guesses but I can’t figure out if there’s a location name for everywhere. The “Redo search map” button is deactivated when the map is fully zoomed out, but it seems that would be a nice solution if active. I ended up using “Draw rectangular boundary” button, and it sort of gets the job done, but seems buggy when trying to draw everywhere. There should be an easier way. Is there?

1 Like

I just tested this using Daucus carota, in Identify. If I asked for the species and left the location blank, I got observations of Daucus carota from everywhere (or more specifically, North America and Europe). You may get only North American observations when you try this because (1) the species only grows in North America or (2) the great majority of observations of it are from North America (because so many observers are from North America) that you’d have to search a long way down the list to find one from elsewhere.

Do you mean you want to be able to look at all observations for a species in explore on the website? If so, check the default place setting.

2 Likes

I had my default location set to North America. At some point, I must have set this for some reason. I unset it, but I think there probably are people who want a default location, but occasionally want to look at observations for the whole planet. Is there an easy way to do this without removing the default?

1 Like

there is no single place nor set of places that will cover the entire globe. if you don’t remove the default search place form your account settings, then you only have two other options to return observations for the whole world, as far as i know:

1. do the initial search on the web Explore screen, which brings back information for your default search place. the filter will show up to the left of the green box that shows the observation count, as the name of your place with an orange box around it. you can click on the x next to the name of the place, which will remove that default search place filter and add an explicit &place_id=any to the URL
  2. add the &place_id=any parameter to the URL yourself (or navigate directly to a URL that includes the &place_id=any parameter
2 Likes

I have Colombia as default, so my explore page looks like this… if I just click the “X” next to Colombia (red boxed on the right site)

it will easily and fast open up to the whole world without local limitations … Or did I not get your question right?

3 Likes

Excellent! This is perfect!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.