How to update species page with updated wikipedia page?

I’m not sure if this is explained anywhere else, so feel free to just point me in the right direction if it is.

I just wanted to know if there’s a way I can get the species pages on iNaturalist to show the most recently updated wikipedia page, or if it will eventually refresh itself on a timer or something?

I recently discovered the species Chionaspis pinifoliae (Pine Needle Scale) because I found it or at least another very similar looking species on a small-flower pawpaw, and now a common persimmon, and went to the species page to learn about it, only to see that the wikipedia page is very unprofessionally written, and in the single paragraph that describes the species, only uses the word “pest”. I edited the wikipedia to neutrally refer to it as a “species” without using demonizing language like “infestations” (??? it’s literally in its natural habitat???), and I’d like the species page here on iNaturalist to reflect those changes, but I’m not sure if this is something I just have to wait for, or if there’s something specific I’m supposed to do to get the changes to display here.

This is the original wikipedia entry, which still shows up on iNAturalist as of me typing this post:

The pine needle scale insect Chionaspis pinifoliae Fitch is a common pest on pine, spruce and other conifers across Canada and throughout the United States (Rose and Lindquist 1985).[1] The pest has been particularly persistent on planted spruce in the Prairie Provinces in both rural and urban settings. In heavy infestations, the needles appear to be flecked with white. The insect overwinters in the egg stage under the white covering of the scale. In Saskatchewan, hatching dates vary from late May to late June. The newly hatched “crawlers” disperse, settle on old or new needles and begin scale development.

Thank you for reading!

A curator has to edit the taxon and manually refresh the automated Wikipedia link - at least this is how I’ve been doing it. I suggest that if you notice this again then flag the taxon for curation; explain that the Wikipedia page has been updated and that it needs refreshing on iNat. I don’t see any issues with doing this.

I have just refreshed the Wiki link for Chionaspis pinifoliae (the example you pointed out), so that should be good now :)

5 Likes

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.