How will you observe the 100 million verifiable observation milestone?

Looks like we’re within a few days of reaching 100 million verifiable observations, which seems like a milestone worth celebrating. I wish I had the skills to make a fun cake to mark the occasion…

18 Likes

What would the ideal cake look like? It’s a fun idea.

5 Likes

Will the hundred millionth observation be a mallard? Just wondering.

13 Likes

Outstanding! We’ll need a lot of hundreds and thousands on the cake.

9 Likes

How? Why, by making more, of course!

And also by remaining grateful to the small and hardworking staff of iNaturalist, who keep the whole thing functioning under the weight of such large numbers, and even add improvements when conditions permit.

20 Likes

Perhaps a very large sheet cake with a map of the world. Different countries or ecosystems could possibly have very large pop-up decorations of the most (more?) populous observations recorded to date!

5 Likes

Plus many dedicated volunteer curators and identifiers!

12 Likes

i guess it just depends on what you love. if i had the skills, i think i would go with a yule log type cake, with some mushrooms on top, a snake poking its head out from underneath, some termites, beetles, spiders, millipedes, etc. crawling around. maybe add a few mosses or ferns or small flowering plants and maybe a few more insect visitors.

10 Likes

One question that I could not figure out: how would one know which is the 100,000,000th verifiable observation. The observation ID counter is now up over 100 million at 118,116,722 plus and there are congratulations at https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/100000000 which is, very happily, a wonderful observation! :heart:

4 Likes

Need to tick the verifiable box in the explore filters

Currently still at 99.8 million

3 Likes

Yes, but how will we know which one it was?

1 Like

What flavor cake? Theobroma cacao? Daucus carota? Citrus limon?

5 Likes

Just keep checking the explore page as the total gets closer to 100 million. If you miss it and the number goes past, it’s easy enough to just count backwards to the correct one since the explore page is by default in descending chronological order of upload. Keeping in mind there’ll be a bit of fluctuation around the milestone as you get observations being retrospectively marked as casual, etc

4 Likes

I’m not going to celebrate until I’ve made 100 million observations all on my own!

9 Likes

Under 50,000 now

2 Likes

within 10000!

1 Like

6,000 … we’ll need @fffffffff or @dianastuder to keep an eye on it while the Americans sleep :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

99 996 041 for me, but eplore page is updating pretty slow, so I can miss it easily.
P.S. Now it’s like that, took an hour to update, so next time it will be more than 100mil.

1 Like

It’s gone past 100 mill

2 Likes

Huh, when I just looked, it says
99,999,746 (verifiable )
Then, when I looked on my iPad, it says 100,002,703.

2 Likes