Trouble creating a new Place, definition of a verifiable observation?

Hi all, thanks in advance. New to iNaturalist but using it for work and trying to create projects for each of my organization’s nature Preserves which are then under one larger Umbrella Project for the whole organization. While these preserves are on the physical map layer they aren’t recognized by the Place search engine. I have gotten the message that I need 50 verifiable observations to add a new Place so I spent some time this weekend and today observing lots of really cool species on our lands.

I just reached 51 observations this afternoon but I haven’t been able to add any new places yet, still receiving the same message that I don’t have enough verifiable observations. In order for observations to be verifiable does a certain amount of time need to pass? Or do they need to be research grade observations?

Thank you to anyone who’s a little more versed in this website than I am! It’s truly a marvel and I’m excited to be working with it this field season!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
A verifiable observation is an observation that has a date, a location, media evidence (image or sound), and has not been voted captive/cultivated. It looks like your account has enough – sometimes the system takes a little while to update your status.

Edit: I looked over what you said again and I misinterpreted it the first time – you’re saying the you can’t bring up the Place in the filters for your project. I looked for a couple of the places you named for your projects (e.g. Bald Mountain, Beech Hill), and yeah, they don’t already exist in iNat, so you’ll have to add them. Shouldn’t take long for the system to recognize you have enough observations.

3 Likes

I remember someone else had the similar problem, and the solution was to wait a little, probably it’s not updated somewhere yet.

2 Likes

Awesome that’s great news thanks so much! I barely waited 20 minutes before trying.

2 Likes

In a database the size of iNaturalist’s it wouldn’t surprise me if it takes a little time for your data to “percolate” through the system.

1 Like

Welcome to iNaturalist :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.