I cant reach maps and some pages

i’m trying to reach observations pages but the map doesn’t show up,

Instead of a map, a message appears that says: “Google Maps did not initialize. You may have blocked access to Google Maps with a browser extension or firewall, or something else is blocking access like an Internet Service Provider”

Also, I cannot download any new observation, why this happening is there a solution to this problem?

is it because i’m living in Syria?

1 Like

I can see maps on Syrian obs (from Cape Town)

Also try asking the people using this project?
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/syrian-biodiversity

I asked other users who live in Syria, they all have the same problem, but now they access the site with a VPN
The idea is that Syria is under sanctions, some websites are bound by
In fact, I refuse to use a VPN. This site needs users from Syria, but why we should use VPN?
if this site dont need anybody from Syria, then we have to leave

3 Likes

I can’t speak for iNat, but I am not sure that iNat is able to help.

1 Like

thank you for help, I will be waiting

1 Like

This appears to be an issue beyond iNat’s control. iNat does make use of Google Maps data, and large portions of the site don’t run without it. If Google Maps is blocked in your location, that will affect access to iNat. I don’t know of any way to solve this other than finding a way to get around the blocking, of which a VPN is probably the easiest.

Other users have experienced similar problems when their ISPs blocked certain aspects of the site.

3 Likes

iNat can’t do anything with where Google is banned.

2 Likes

Dear Salimeh,

Guys are experiencing the same problems in the Crimea since 12 Apr 2023. All geo services within iNaturalist are unavailable and this makes iNat almost useless.
So, yes. This is due to Google (not due to your internet providers). And this is because you are from Syria.
The only solution is to use VPN but this is a very slow working option.

6 Likes

strange. seems like Google maps services should have been unavailable in Syria for a while now. not sure why it would have worked before for you only to now become unavailable.

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/terms/maps-prohibited-territories/

2 Likes

Can you please send me a screenshot of what you’re referring to here? Here are instructions for how to take a screenshot on several types of devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org Do you mean “upload”?

We updated the version of Google Maps we use on April 5th. The date doesn’t line up with what Alexey says about Crimea, but maybe its related?

I doubt it will help, but does clearing the browser’s cache do anything?

Can you open up your browser’s console on one of these pages and take a screenshot that includes the console? It would be interesting to see if the console shows any errors.

But as others have said, if it’s Google’s decision to block Maps access in these areas, there’s not much we can do about it.

It looks like Vietnam is on Google’s block list - @earthknight do you know of any Google Maps issues on iNat for people in Vietnam not on a VPN?

1 Like

I am from the Crimea and I have the same problem with “Google Maps did not initialize”.
And I also cannot upload a new observation. An empty screen is opened when I press “upload”.
The same empty screen is opened if I try to open all observations of any taxon, or of any user.
My home feed, profile, identifications, and faves work as usual. Any particular observation is opened without map.

But Google maps themselves are opened in both old Firefox browser and Android app. Their application for Windows is, however, not working, but for several years, not after 12 April.

5 Likes

Can you open up your browser’s console on one of these pages and take a screenshot that includes the console? It would be interesting to see if the console shows any errors.

This is the upload page in browser. Indeed there is an error due to Google.

3 Likes

Isn’t it funny that someone from “the Netherlands for example” uploads about his daily observations in Syria? This is what happens when using VPN, some may see it as pragmatic, but I find it funny and shameful

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

No issues reaching Google Maps on iNat or any other platform here in Vietnam, at least not via my provider or my cell service, and both of those have a lot of other things blocked.

I suspect people would flip out here if Google Maps became unavailable as everyone uses it to get around, even the taxi drivers.

4 Likes

Аre you considering using a different source of maps for the Platform?