I found a way to find iNaturalist taxa that use a Wikipedia disambiguation page in their About tab

I can Google site:inaturalist.org/taxa “may refer to” and it shows me iNaturalist taxa that use a Wikipedia disambiguation page in their about tab, such as Enoggera. This is useful, because iNaturalist taxa should not use an disambiguation page in their about tab.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I’ll use this myself to tidy up local taxa

1 Like

Nice find. However, when I flagged a taxon with this issue a little while ago, the curators gave a couple of reasons for leaving any About pages set to disambiguation pages alone. One is that the automated database links are using the names of taxa to link information together, not something like “Enoggera (wasp)”. Different language versions of Wikipedia also have different sets of overlapping article names and disambiguation pages.

site:inaturalist.*/taxa OR site:naturalista.*/taxa OR site:biodiversity4all.*/taxa "may refer to" is a more comprehensive search. However, almost all results are from inaturalist.org.

I believe i read somewhere that inaturalist uses wikidata to link the inat taxon with the wikipedia page. In the enoggera case, the wasp article doesn’t exist on wikipedia; so i guess inat just uses the direct article name. If you write me a two-line write-up for the wasp, i can create the article for it.

1 Like

yes, but there might be a problem somewhere, at least in some cases: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/wikidata-wikipedia-link-for-taxon-page-about-tab-no-longer-working/29405.

Never mind about the write-up. I’ve created the article stub and directed wikidata to that page. But, there seems to be another problem that pisum linked to above.

ah ok. gotcha.

"may refer to" is English, so site:inaturalist.*/taxa OR site:naturalista.*/taxa OR site:biodiversity4all.*/taxa "may refer to" will only return English results. But you can easily extend it to other languages. For example, for Spanish it is site:inaturalist.*/taxa OR site:naturalista.*/taxa OR site:biodiversity4all.*/taxa "puede referirse" .

I feel that iNaturalist is more likely to have a correct about tab for English.

You should add an automatic taxobox to the Enoggera (wasp) page, and use {{Chalcidoidea-stub}} rather than {{Insect-stub}}.

Other wikipedia editors seem to have done both of your suggestions. Also, the about tab on Enoggera page seems to have been updated to the wiki article. I guess the wikidata-inat problem isn’t widespread.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.