I need more Likes

I’ve been reading through older forum posts in my spare time, and I see a lot of posts I want to Like. However, if I do this for long enough I hit my Like limit and have to wait minutes, hours, or a day before Liking again. This is really annoying. I know the limit is there for a reason, but I think I should be allowed to Like as many posts as I want. I guess the forum just doesn’t expect people to read that many posts in one day. Anyway, can the limit be increased?

11 Likes

I think the idea is that people don’t just run through spamming things.

Personally, I’m ok with judicious use of the “like” button. Hopefully it makes me think more carefully about why I use it.

4 Likes

the limit is already high. I consider myself extremely generous with Likes, and I read most new posts, and never hit my limit.
honestly, such a high % of my posts are given Likes by you that it doesn’t feel very impactful any more ):

4 Likes

There are other ways to express appreciation for others thoughtful and informative comments: Write your own comment and quote that person if he or she had something particularly insightful. Build on the idea if you think it’s a good foundation. Maybe do a little research and see if there’s a good source that you would both benefit from.

And as an added bonus, that may just slow you down a bit. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I don’t think a comment can replace a like, though it’s a good addition, I only ran out them before limit was changed, so maybe consider what exactly you like and why, because from what I see it really seems you like almost everything?

I personally do not need more likes ( I misunderstood the title of the topic at first read ) but I think more forum users with your badge ‘‘Higer love’’ have the same problem as you have: they need more likes…
https://forum.inaturalist.org/badges/34/higher-love

2 Likes

I didn’t even notice I had that!

It sounds like I should just not worry about it, and use the like limit as a reading limit. I probably spend too much time here anyway.

5 Likes

I suspect even the most curmudgeonly of us probably get a a small shot of Dopamine with a Like on our comment, but it can be over-used. I view the Like button as simply indicating agreement with the content of a comment and thus not requiring a follow-up comment. I probably under-use it myself.

5 Likes

Same here, and also in a “moderatorly” context I use it when I think a post was an especially good contribution to the discussion, whether or not I personally agree with it. Other times, though, I get so wrapped up in reading and thinking about the subject matter that I forget to add likes at all :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Friendly reminder that iNat is different from Instagram or Twitter

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, we’re using the default number of likes. People a Trust Level 1 have 50 likes per day (I’m not sure when each “day” starts), and that number is multiplied by 1.5 for Trust Level 2 users, doubled for Trust Level 3 users. So @fluffyinca should have 75 likes per day, @astra_the_dragon should have more, maybe like 150, as a moderator.

True, although the Forum isn’t iNat, it’s software designed by (and hosted by) Discourse.org. You can read their piece about Likes here.

9 Likes

I would like your post but I am currently out of “likes” for the day, and stumbled into this post trying to figure out how the trust levels work. I am a lurker and often get to posts late, but still like to contribute to the conversation by “liking” comments I think add something important to the discussion.

2 Likes

Liking - is the only option we have on the forum. If we don’t have a comment to add.

It is also my way to remind myself Read That - altho I can lean on Last Visit.

1 Like