Since when did the forum add multiple like types?

There is a celebration, Happy, caring, etc. like. Since when was this implemented?

No idea, I just noticed it today. I don’t really like it, as it clogs up the “like” area when you hover and I may accidentally click one. But whatever.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s annoying.

Can we remove this and just go back to a simple one icon “like” button?

2 Likes

Literally yesterday. It was automatically added as part of a discourse update. We didn’t do anything and I’m not sure whether it can be changed.

5 Likes

Agreed, that’s kinda annoying. At least clicking the heart just does a “normal” like on the web so I don’t have to worry about trying to pick a specific one each time I click.

1 Like

I think this could be cool and add nuance to discussions, as we would see a more accurate representation of people’s reactions.

1 Like

There have been a few posts - where I am lost for words - existential terminal despair as another life form goes extinct.
Downright offensive to put a big red heart on those - but our previous alternative was to ignore it. We didn’t even have a thumbs up or down choice.

3 Likes

Gone again now though, at least for me.

2 Likes

I noticed it yesterday and it was annoying. I didn’t think iNat could do anything about it, though. However, as @richyfourtytwo mentions, it seems to be gone now. @dianastuder we do have the option of replying to an existential terminal despair post and putting in an emoji. A work around?

Looks like the team at Discourse accidentally turned this feature on. The default setting for forums will be “off”: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-reactions-beyond-likes/183261/165

4 Likes

I don’t care much either way.

I don’t think we have much of a like-giving culture here anyway. On a different forum running the same software I am definitely in the lowest quartile of like-givers, if not further down. Here my behaviour of giving likes only sparingly seems to be just average.

1 Like

Thanks for sleuthing that @bouteloua.

We don’t have the type of account that can implement reactions (now that they’ve fixed their mistake), so it’s a bit of a moot point until they make it available for Discourse Business accounts, which appears to be in the offing.

1 Like

Meanwhile 17 of us have earned a First Reaction notification :rofl:

1 Like

Personally I don’t like the Like heart and associated reaction symbols. Always seemed silly to me. The NY Times has a simple Recommended button if you want to agree with a post, which allows you to assess which comments most resonate with readers. No smiley faces or thumbs. Simple and useful.

It’s gone… YAY!

The original question’s been answered so I’m going to close this topic.

1 Like