Identification comments aren't saved after viewing additional photos

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc): Chrome (86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit))

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: Example in screenshots is https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/62341353 but this seems to be generally true.

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

1:

2:

3:

4:

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: In the Identify view, click on an observation with multiple photos. Add an ID in the “Add an Identification” box. (1st screenshot). The “Add an Identification” box has the focus, as shown by the blue line around it.

Step 2: Put a comment in the “tell us why” box. That field now has the focus. (2nd screenshot)

Step 3: In the left-hand pane, click on a different photo. On the right-hand side, focus jumps back to the identification field, and the dropdown to select your ID appears again. The comment in the “Tell us why” box is still there, peeking out from under the dropdown. (3rd screenshot).

Step 4: Without clicking back into the “Tell us why” box, either click on the green “Save” button, or click on the ID in the dropdown and then click on the Save button. The ID is saved, but the comment disappears. (4th screenshot).

1 Like

@trinaroberts, welcome to the Forum and thank you for your report!
Staff as well as some experienced users monitor bug reports periodically and will get back to you.

2 Likes

I find this rather annoying in general, and I wonder if a similar thing is happening with the comments.

Did you try it with reselecting your comment, similar to reselecting your ID?

1 Like

Yes, if you click back into the box and then save the whole ID the comment appears normally (thus the specific instruction not to do this to reproduce the problem behavior). But this is a workaround that shouldn’t be necessary and that, in practice, is easy to forget.

You don’t have to reselect your ID, I just frequently do so to make the dropdown go away.

1 Like

OK thanks. I have definitely had times though where I’ve had to reselect the name though or the save button isn’t an option. Maybe that’s something else though.

1 Like

Hmm. I haven’t noticed that, but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

I believe I had this problem yesterday on Firefox, didn’t work out what had gone wrong at the time (and given my internet connection is playing up a bit at the moment, assumed it was my end where the issue was).

I’ve occasionally had my ID comments disappear and then had to edit the ID to re-add the comment I meant to save with it. I’ve never taken the time to try to figure out under which circumstances these comments get lost and if there is a pattern/bug behind this or just user error on my part. Sounds like I’m not the only one who has experienced this so thanks for bringing it up!

Thanks for the details bug report @trinaroberts, I made an issue for it here: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/2834