Impact of iNaturalist Journal pages

Hi

I post to a project Journal every now and then. I also spend a lot of time on prepping the journal posts.

However, now I wonder if anyone actually reads the project journals .

I had a look at the first page of this all inaturalist journal list. Most journals have 0 comments, the one getting the most tracking 35 comments is an official Inaturalist Journal Post (or atleast I think it is an official post)

So my question is

1. Who are seeing these journals apart from the authors, and people who browse the journal pages.
  2. Apart from this journal listing page where else would these journals show up. I know that people tagged in them receive a notification.
  3. How would one attract eyeballs to journal posts. The journals show up even on a non logged in browser, so that is good as it can then be shared more publicly.

Look forward to comments and suggestions
ram

I use the journal to prompt people to my blog - where I already have a different set of readers going back years. StatCounter shows me that I am drawing a steady trickle of visitors from iNat.

Getting readers - social media - takes two. How many journal posts do you read, and comment on? - to show I did read that.

I prefer to invest that prep time and effort on my blog. From where I link back to my iNat posts. Or the iNat blog posts. Love to have that statistical data where I can easily find it again.

My iNat time is mostly endless identifying!

3 Likes

I mostly use journals for guides to answer the questions that I get when placing an ID. Iā€™m pasting those links all over inat. So those get read, I did write a couple of non-guide posts, but I think the people who are most likely to read your posts are people following you, and I donā€™t have very many. So less likely to get read.

5 Likes

This is a good point

I read but not necessarily comment. :smiling_face_with_tear:

And thank you for the other advice.

For me, personally, it is hard to be ā€œsocialā€ online - it simply takes too much effort and time - too many thin egg shells to be wary off .

1 Like

I read a lot, but seldom comment - just enough that we show each other - hi - Iā€™m here - I am reading ā€¦

You need to find your tribe, your village, of like-minded people. Whether it is blogs, or FB, or iNat. Readers are busy people. As a content creator you have to reach out, find readers, promote your content. Or not - it is your choice. But then ultimately your choice how much time and effort you invest in a journal post for iNat.

My next post will be July hikes - similar to April where I have 4 links back to my iNat obs for the ā€˜unusual to my readersā€™ species. Comments from California (of course), Wisconsin, Maine, Sussex, Slovenia and JusTodd (who I think came from iNat) My South African readers engage with my FB blog page.

It depends how much you want (more) readers.

1 Like

Thank you

My tribe is split into two - people who donā€™t read English and people who do. The latter have a lot less time and for the former it is very difficult because writing in Hindi is not my forte. :-(

I hope to address both soon with shorter pieces.

My Slovenian reader writes her blog post in both her languages. But for Slovenian, Dutch, German ā€¦ the European languages, Google Translate works well.

What is Hindi autotranslate like? As clunky as Afrikaans?
You made me curious. Autotranslated a recent post to Hindi, but beyond a foreign to me script I have no idea if it is readable?

1 Like

wow, it does real well ā€“ cannot make out any serious errors or issues

1 Like

Google Translate (not auto translate) does an ok job as long as sentances are insterted and not paragraphs, for longer documents it starts to make errors .

Some years ago I did this
Presentation or Guide to help people join and use Inaturalist

and the next message as well
Presentation or Guide to help people join and use Inaturalist

1 Like

Just posted this

Beetles, and Citizen science contributions in India

1 Like

People who follow you (or your project) will see when you publish a journal post, they are generally the only people who will see posts by default. Otherwise you can get more people to see them by linking to them in discussions in the comments on observations. For example I have some identification guides in my journals so if someone asks for ID help on one of those groups then Iā€™ll link to those.
I havenā€™t kept my Calligrapher hover fly guide up to date but it still comes up high in the Google search results for both the common and scientific names of the genus, so thatā€™s another potential way people can find them.

2 Likes

Might be better if there was a way to search Journal Posts. i.e. taxa, places, tags

You want to vote for this:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-tags-to-journal-posts/13875
and this:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-a-search-bar-for-journals/24199

4 Likes

Voted :+1:t5:

I will read journals for projects that I joined, and Iā€™ve found informative iNat journal posts pop up in Google searches for certain ID-related things. It would be nice if iNat had a better way of searching/browsing journal articles, but I think if you have good information, the right key words, and maybe a couple of links pointing to it, people looking for that information have a chance to find it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.