iNat Year in Review 2022 Released!

So, what those numbers mean? They’re clearly not the full number of observations made in 2022.

Correct. It looks like maybe there was a bug and it was showing the growth in obs number from last year.

I’m seeing percentage now if I’m on % of total growth:

Not sure what happened.

2 Likes

I love the map gif!! So cool.

What’s the link for the United States? I can’t seem to find it.

Is this what you are after?

Or are you after a United States centered network (node)?

1 Like

I just want to see the data for the United States.

Did I give you the answer or was it other data you were after?

US centered network

There isn’t one.

:pensive: Why not?

Why take away cool features?

Most of iNat is US anyway.

3 Likes

Yes, but I can click on any other country in the Inat family to see their stats why not have one for the US that’s not diluted with global stats. Doesn’t make any sense.

There’re twenty countries that have affiliated websites, other countries don’t have any other stats than those shown on global page. Separate websites are created to promote iNat more in those countries, as iNat is american-born, it doesn’t need a separate website to do that. It’d be better if year statistics were generated for each country, but I believe there’s a reason it’s not that way.

3 Likes

But what is that reason?

On the global page it says this down at the end. “Stats will be generated every Sunday in December and on January 1st.” Why can’t these be generated every month or week of the year. I try and keep my personal “year in review” up to date weekly. It’d be cool to see what’s going on in the world throughout the year instead of having to wait until the end.

Because it’s affecting the work of servers.

3 Likes

It might be nice to have a US portal some day, to combat US-centralism and the assumption of the US as default, and allow those who don’t want to affiliate with only one country to still sign in with the general webpage. I’d actually like to see a portal for our state within the US (Vermont) but this is probably a pretty low priority for a lot of reasons. I kinda want a ‘neurodivergent’ portal too but that’s probably getting a bit ridiculous. Maybe we can make separate portals for different user types. A portal to deal with my issues with taxonomy. I guess i’m just trying to turn iNat into Mastadon here which is a bad idea.

3 Likes

I am especially amazed by the stats of the UK network - everyone of those did an amazing job :laughing:

6 Likes

Which is weird, I’d expect it to be completely translated to other languages of the UK, not sure how much it would widen the use of iNat, but it’d be neat.