iNat Year in Review 2022 Released!

What does this mean?

Of course you’d assume the US is the default because that’s where it originates. If it originated in Mexico, Canada or any other country, I would assume that particular country would be the default.

iNat is and always has been a global platform, the US has never been a default place for it. But, it has inherent biases towards the US. It was founded in the US, it’s based in the US, and until recently all staff members were US residents. So for better or worse, an American perspective is built in to the site and the staff.

Over 40% of all verifiable observations on iNat have been made in the US, and overall growth, broken down by country, is still led by the US, and by a large margin. We’ve not felt the need to make a US-only site or show US-only stats. IMO it’s great that iNat is successful here and we want it to continue to grow here, but as a global platform, we also would love to see iNat communities in other places grow and mature.

So what we’ve done is partner with organizations in some other places to form the iNaturalist Network. They reach out to us and apply to join the network. This allows us at iNat to work with groups in non-US places who know the culture, the language, and what’s happening on the ground, and can help grow and manage the community there from within - something we on staff can’t really do, and perhaps shouldn’t do - iNat has often worked best when it starts from the ground up. And these partner organizations have their own sites that are part of the same global database and commuity, but are focused on the place in question. A separate portal into the broader iNat community.

And as part of these partnerships, we generate year in review pages for those network members, and that’s what’s linked to at the bottom of the main iNat Year in Review page. As @fffffffff says, generating these stats places a burden on iNat’s infrastructure, so we only do it for places where we have network sites. Doing it for every country would be prohibitively difficult. And that’s also why don’t generate stats all year. This is just a fun year-end look at the previous 12 months.

14 Likes

I understand about the global aspect but my original question was why isn’t there a page to see just the US year in review. I can see how Canada progressed this year but I can’t see how the US did. Just seems kind of weird.

but that means @dusty_in_vilas-tx you have to learn to live with - more than half us are not USA. We live in the Rest of the World.

5 Likes

Because US doesn’t have a separate website, as well as most of world countries.

2 Likes

Doesn’t really matter where you live, what I’m trying to get at is why can’t anybody from any country narrow it down to their prospective country or state.

This is also what I’m saying, The USA as well as any other country or “rest of the world’s”
observations are diluted by other countries. The quote says 40% are from the USA, that’s 60% from other countries.

But some countries do. Just seems weird that just across the border in Mexico they can view their own years observations. Having a website shouldn’t really have anything to do with it. You should be able to, from the global year in review site, narrow down on the map or just click on a country to view wherever you want to.

1 Like

Tony already answered that exact question.

5 Likes

You have a detailed answer from @tiwane.
You may not like the answer, but it is the way it is.
Most countries, like the USA do not have a dedicated site.
I don’t for South Africa.

2 Likes

SA is as far as I know on the TODO list…

1 Like

After a very rigorous statistical analysis of my observations this year I have reached the conclusion that…

I had a lot of fun!

(Please pass the fruitcake and eggnog.)

11 Likes

months ago it was on the doing list … but, still, hasn’t happened yet. No news. Something in the legal small print they said.

1 Like

I’ll take the fruitcake, but the eggnog is all yours!

1 Like

I am still gagging at the idea of eggnog :nauseated_face:
But fruitcake :grin:

2 Likes

Is there an actual list or you’re talking hypothetically? I’d expect SA to have it, one of the most active communities deserve it!

1 Like

I believe the work needs to be done by our scientists, rather than iNat. So the delay lies within our country.

3 Likes

Is there a way to refresh my personal YIR stats ?

1 Like

There should be a “regenerate stats” button if I remember correctly. It’s at the bottom I think.

3 Likes

:partying_face: thank you!

I was happy to find out new topics are added to YIR. I am looking forward to see the results and to see who make this site such a wonderfull place to look around.

Unless I’m mistaken, this was my most prolific year of iNaturalist to date: https://www.inaturalist.org/stats/2022/silversea_starsong

I’m not sure what the current record is for most species in one year, but this must be pretty close. I wasn’t expecting the results to be so high, as most of the countries I visited this year were relatively low diversity compared to popular destinations like South America, Africa, or Australasia.

If I had known it was going to be this high, I’d have made a lot more effort especially in my local area to catch up on species I’ve observed before, just not this year. But it wouldn’t have been enough to reach 8,000, so I think I’m happy enough with where things landed!

5 Likes