iNaturalist app has stopped working on Android 6

I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling and it is still the same.
every time I click the app I get a white flash and it shuts down

4 Likes

Hi @paul_griffith1 and welcome to the iNaturalist Forum. I’m sorry it’s under these circumstances. I have moved your post to the Bug Reports category, since Forum Feedback is for discussion about the Forum itself, and not about iNaturalist or its apps.

The developers will probably need a little more information before they can attempt to diagnose the problem. For starters, at least your model of phone, and the current version number of its operating system (either iOS or Android). Also, if you happen to know what version of the iNaturalist app you are trying to run, or at least how long ago you first installed the current version.

4 Likes

I had the same issue yesterday. It would try to reopen itself a couple times too to no avail and at some point the phone closes the app for good.

My android is 6.0 and I plan upgrading it later today and try again.

For OP i suggest clearing the app cache data and trying again (didn’t work in my case though).

1 Like

phone is an oppo A77, using android version 6.0, I cleaned cache and still did not work restarted phone, uninstalled and reinstalled it but it has not worked. has worked for the last year, was working last week just stopped yesterday and will not open, just flashes white then black and that’s it

2 Likes

I’m also having issues with the app automatically closing (won’t open at all).

I’m also getting these messages on my phone:-

This app is causing your device to run slowly. To improve your device’s performance, tap SAVE POWER to stop…

10 errors occurred in 1 week.

My phone is Samsung Galaxy S5 with the following:-

Android version 6.0.1

Android security patch level 1 March 2017

I have cleared cache. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times. I’ve restarted my phone multiple times. Nothing is working.

2 Likes

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): I can’t open the App at all anymore, despite multiple attempts at downloading the latest one from the Play Store

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : I have both Samsung browser and Chrome on my phone, but it is the App that is not working at all

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): The app has frequently stopped working in the past when I have made multiple observations, and I have always thought this to be a memory issue. I deleted all the old photos from my phone and it worked better.
However last Wednesday 18 August I went to record and observation and I could no longer open the App.

it just says “Unfortunately, iNaturalist has stopped.” I get the options “report” or “OK”
If i choose OK the message pops up again a short time later. If I chose “report” the message pops up over the top of the report screen.

I have restarted my phone
Shut the phone right down and started it again
Uninstalled the app and reinstalled it several times with various combinations of restarting my phone in between un installing and re installing.

Still no joy. It just no longer works. I have attempted to send the feedback via the phone, but I am not confident even that is working.

I am was also getting messages on my phone saying the App is slowing my phone down and I need to resolve this.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

1 Like

Try cleaning out the cache and clear all data in settings.
If that works, you will just have to sign back in when you open the app.

1 Like

What Android version are you running?

1 Like

In the past when this has happened to me clearing the cache (through Android settings) and reinstalling the app both worked however the OP said they reinstalled already. :(

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue with my phone. It’s just started and I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. I have cleared the cache, uninstalled & reinstalled multiple times. Nothing is helping.

2 Likes

Its a Samsung S5 phone running Android Version 6.0.1

1 Like

Exactly the same as mine @fobhm

2 Likes

I’m guessing one of our recent updates has caused an issue?

1 Like

I have cleared my cache - reinstalling the app.
So now going into settings applications manager iNaturalist - storage - “Clear cache” and " clear data" and cleared each in turn.

No joy, still not working and still getting pop up screens saying it is not working.

1 Like

I’ve cleared cache. Uninstalled/reinstalled. Restarted phone. Multiple times. Nothing makes a difference.

1 Like

I merged these reports and edited the title. It seems like maybe the upgrade to Rails 5 caused the app to stop working in Android 6. Hopefully it’s something the developers can fix.

2 Likes

Same issue here with the same technology - please advise when/if the developers reply.

1 Like

Thank you @jwidness . And yes I do hope the developers can fix the issue although in my case I’m fortunate in that I’ve actually already ordered a new phone almost as if I had a premonition that I was about to have issues with iNat.

1 Like

Tried reinstalling the app from play store today and it will not open, nothing happens, the screen goes white for a second then black and the phone goes back to the apps screen. No other app on my phone is giving me any problem. iNaturalist was working on Aug 12, and stopped working sometime after then and has not worked since.

1 Like

The last time I used the phone app was Aug 13 and I first realised that I had an issue on Aug 19.

1 Like