Incorrect Location

How do I change the name of a location? When I upload an observation, the location name assigned is incorrect. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi John, welcome to the iNat Forum! Can you provide an example observation and what device you are using (website, Android, iOS)?

iNaturalist will automatically generate a location name depending on the device / method you used to upload the observation. You can always override the name listed by typing in the locality notes section. In this example, I changed it to “Dan Ryan Woods”: image

In the larger scheme, if it’s an error coming through when making observations on the phone, you can also get incorrect location names corrected through Google and Apple maps, I had to do that for the name of a local park recently.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’m using an iPhone.

I get the name of a private community that is quite a bit away from where I made the observation. It’s very strange.

1 Like

The Isla Dorada is not near where I made the observation.

1 Like

I always zoom in on the map in the observation after it’s uploaded to make sure that the bullseye is recorded in the correct place. I am often in a very rural area and observations will list one town whenever I upload something from the phone. Generally it uses the official address (which is really the post office that serves the community) I manually change the name to reflect the actual area the picture was taken in the “Where were you?” box. This doesn’t change the location of the bullseye on the map.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.