iPhone 13 Pro Greatest Smartphone for iNatting?

I’m generally not one to plug a product, but I’ve been using the iPhone 13 Pro for the last couple of months and I’m blown away at how good the camera is for iNatting. Just in terms of usable observation photos, it’s amazing. The macro function is outstanding (for a phone) and the zoom function is very good (for a phone). What is most impressive is the computational processing of the images. The phone shows you the raw image and then the very noticeable change when the processing software kicks in. Anyway, if you enjoy the observation side of things on iNat and are in the market for a new smartphone, I recommend checking out the iPhone 13 Pro. It’s been a real joy to use in the field.

3 Likes

how about the battery?

1 Like

Wow, but it costs 100+k rubles, it’s x4 of my current new phone (and x10 of my old one which I adored). Apple have some insane prices.
Every smartphone with good “camera” now is just a smartphone with good software, Apple and Huawei as I remember have the best ones, so latest iPhone probably should be the best in market.

2 Likes

I’ve been using my iPhone 13 Pro for about 2 months and am really pleased with it. Haven’t done a lot of macro pics but the few I’ve made were pretty good.

The only downside is it’s a hefty phone that can be a little awkward to handle when trying to photo something small and close.

1 Like

I hear the macro mode is a great addition to the iPhone image capabilities among others for the iPhone 13 Pro. I did a search on “iPhone 13 Pro” and only one image comes up but it has a description for an iPhone 12 Pro. So there are no tagged iPhone 13 Pro images. Would be great to see this tag/description added by the observers especially when they’ve made use of the macro mode.

Only the 13 Pro and not the 13 basic model has Macro Mode:

Here’s a search for the description: iPhone 13 Pro.

Yes, and they take away manual control and over process. My pixel won’t quit autofocusing when I want to take microscope pictures and choose the focus plane myself. And the Samsung I tried out before it would over sharpen everything so that zooming in on the pictures was useless after the fact. The pixel has excellent color sensitivity, and the Samsung took pictures with the most pleasing lighting but I both of those especially the Samsung have a form of automation as a significant downside.

There are camera apps like Halide that give you manual control.

4 Likes

@tchakamaura There’s a setting to turn off automatic macro mode. Especially useful when taking videos.

1 Like

I just read about this…supposedly works on other iPhones besides 13 Pro. (I have a 12 Mini.) Has anyone here used Halide on older iPhones?

1 Like

Most of these were taken with the iPhone 13 Pro.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d1=2021-10-23&d2=2021-12-01&place_id=any&subview=table&user_id=teellbee&verifiable=any

I’m glad to know I can turn-off autofocus, as that makes it fiddle-y to take “macro” photos. While it is much better than my early iPhone 11 ProMax, I cannot say I think the camera is as good as my dreams.

This one probably shows the zoom capability better:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/100174217

2 Likes

For comparison, green metallic sweat bee with your 13 Pro and my 11 regular

I do want to upgrade my phone just for insect pictures (crazy, right?)

1 Like

Definitely. It works great on my XS.

Yes, they are expensive. Honestly, I would have stuck with my iPhone X (which I really liked as well) if both Verizon and AT&T weren’t running a really sweet deal, offering about $800 in trade in for my iPhone X. Without something like that, yeah, it probably isn’t worth it.

1 Like

Yes, the lenses do make it a little top heavy and clunky to handle. I do find it helps to use the volume buttons as the shutter release trick.

2 Likes

Yeah, somewhat effective even so far away. Here’s one I took the other day. While you can’t tell how far up it was from the photos, it was up there a ways and moving. Still usable shots: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/102202295

1 Like

Not crazy at all! :) That’s why I made the switch from the X. If wanting better bug photos from my phone is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.

4 Likes

Yes, this time our phone carrier offered a $1000 trade-in, along with a renewing a 2-year subscription. So, that made it doable.

1 Like

The battery life is outstanding. My X used to run down by the end of the day most of the time. I’m often at about 3/4 charged by the end of the day with my 13.

1 Like

Battery life is great right now since I just bought the phone in October. I can probably go a couple days between charges. I hope it remains good for a few years at least. My iPhone 7 started getting bad after about 4 yrs and I would have to plug it in again towards end of the day after it was fully charged in morning.

1 Like

Smart phones are remarkable for landscapes and macro work such as plants but useless for anything at a distance such as birds so only half useful for iNatting.