Is there an easy way to open all notifications?

In my browser it underlines the text of the notification that was last clicked.

2 Likes

i think of the Activity feed in the Android app as the easiest way to go through a lot of (or old) notifications (identifications + comments only) one by one. not sure whether the iOS app has similar functionality.

2 Likes

On the website, once I click in the notifications icon at the top of the page, iNaturalist “forgets” which notifications I have clicked on, so if I don’t open all the ones I care about in a single pass, I don’t have a good way to find the list later.

On iOS, the Activity tab only clears the notifications that I actually view, which is much better. But I prefer using the website most of the time due to much larger screen, etc.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that the ios app was better at that than the website, so thank you for that information, but I too want to see observations on a larger screen (especially someone else’s observations)…

1 Like

I presume, since the order feels random, and seems to shuffle and resort - if there has been multiple engagement on one post - it sorts back carefully, slotting in each engagement as it happened. And then dumps out of the sequence - what - the one I clicked to open in a new tab?

I wish we could - Mark as Read - thanks, I’ve seen that one. Unfollow helps, but iNat is not always convinced that I meant UNfollow.

And finding where you were, is like stepping into the same river twice. All change. Start again.

1 Like

suppose you had a page that could give you the information shown below (pretend like the last three columns on the right have been populated). (effectively, it’s the same information that the Android / iOS activity feed can provide, plus some basic details about the associated observation.) would that be useful to you?

1 Like

It looks like it would definitely help keep track of the notifications! How does the “true/false” column under “Your Obs” differ from the “ID Category”? (And thanks for working on this.)

“Your Obs” indicates whether you are the observer or not on that particular observation. ID category indicates whether the identifier’s identification is leading, supporting, maverick, etc.

is there any information from the observation that might be useful to display? i was planning to add the 3 columns on the right for sure, but maybe there’s other information that might be helpful? total ID count? your ID on that observation? comment count? (theoretically, it’s possible to add anything that is displayed or could be interpreted from the observation detail page.)

i haven’t actually committed to making a final product yet. right now, this is just a quick prototype to see what might be possible. a final product would involve some different UI choices than i usually go with on these kinds of pages (due to the fact this requires authentication to get notification data). so that will require effort that i’m not sure will outweigh the benefit yet. (i’m trying to get a sense of the benefit from your responses.)

it may also be worth noting that it looks like these notifications are retained for a maximum of only 3 months, i think. (or at least, we only have access to 3 months worth.) so that fact may or may not limit the usefulness of this, too.

1 Like

I think it looks great for my purposes. I try to get through my notifications daily, so the three-month cut-off wouldn’t matter to me. My ID on the observation would be very helpful, too, I think.

ok. what about this? what do you think about the order of the columns? would you prefer to see the “Your Obs” column or a column that shows the observer login (ex. pisum)?

1 Like

That looks great! Maybe start a new topic specifically for this? I’m sure there are many people who have already marked this thread as read that would be very interested in your idea.

1 Like

I don’t have any preference as to the order of the columns.

Point taken by me, but since I was asked a direct question, I answered it.

That wasn’t directed at you…?

I know. But I didn’t want you to think that by responding to the question I was ignoring what you had just said.

ok. i went ahead and did the necessary coding, and this page is available to the masses now.

page: https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNat_observations_updates.html
code: https://github.com/jumear/stirfry/blob/gh-pages/iNat_observations_updates.html

i’m still not sure how useful it is (for my own purposes), but i think it should at least work on modern browsers. so have fun with it.

12 Likes

Thank you. I looked at mine on github, and it seems to be working in my browser (Safari). I don’t know anything about github–is there a place on github to discuss it if questions arise?

1 Like

you could log an issue over that the /jumear/stirfry repository, i suppose, but honestly, i’m not good about monitoring activity over there, and you would probably get faster response by posting here or messaging me in the forum or on iNaturalist.

2 Likes

I am very happy with this. It flawlessly and immediately removes each notification from the list after I open the observation, and going straight down the list in and out of each observation is very smooth with no loading time lags. Thank you.

2 Likes

Is it possible for you to make the ID Notes/Comment column wider manually? I notice if I zoom out it also does that, but I’d appreciate a permanent solution.

the browser should just automatically size that column based on its contents. i could do something like assign it a minimum width if there’s data in there. but how wide should that minimum be?

i don’t want to get into making it so the user can adjust the width of the columns in the table because that complicates things, especially if you’re expecting the page to remember the adjusted widths across pages or, worse, across sessions.

UPDATE: in the meantime, i’ve removed the notification ID column since i don’t think anyone can really do anything with that ID anyway. that will give the other columns in the table relatively more space, and might encourage the browser to render the comments column a little wider in most cases.