Thanks pisum. It may need professional debugging, yes.
@tiwane Have been working on this, now republished:
https://inaturalist.nz/projects/auckland-renh-kaipatiki-creek-trial-umbrella-project/journal/31715-final-report for 2 days now so it seems professional debugging may be required.
The only list used - or needed - is at the beginning, and it works ok, and pisum said it is correctly coded.
Bullet points are created unintentionally by my use of hyphen followed by space. I will have to add lines in places as the text is cramped, but the hyphen-space does not seem to be a problem. I tried removing all these and it didn’t restore the paragraphs.
I also added a backslash after the first numeral n each section number, ie 1:2 I changed to 1:2, in case that was a problem.
When I originally posted there were some bullet points in the Edit Text. These may have been imported by my copying and pasting some text at some point, and I had left them as they worked alright at that time. I removed them all and replaced each with hyphen-space.
I did ind a couple of missed a href closing tags, and corrected them.
If I split the post into sections I get correctly formatted sections, but when I combine them the paragraphs disappear again.
I still get the greyed out save button on my iMac sometimes when saving these test posts, but they do save.
Could there be a limit to post length which is affecting formatting or saving?
Or could my section names - ie 1:1, 1:2 etc - be a problem? There was another set of numbers in the original text, in the traditional system of 1. followed by 1.1, 12 etc, then 2, followed by 2,2 etc. I have removed these in case they were the problem.
I had used an asterisk in four places. After reading the Syntax guide I tried adding a backslash to these, but they appeared in published text so I removed both backslash and asterisks in case they were a problem.
The first section of the same text published separately has paragraphs correctly:
A later section
destroys paragraphs in other sections when added to them.
I am currently using Mohave 10.14.6 and Safari, but wrote the original text using an older machine and OS. After starting writing the report in the browser I could have copied the text to and from a text document for proofreading and editing…I forget.