Label species that are included in the CV training model

There is sometimes confusion about which species and taxonomic ranks (for simplicity, I will just use species from now on) have been included in the CV model. I propose that for each species included in the CV model, on that species’ Taxon page, a label/icon is provided. Ideally this would indicate which CV model(s) have been trained on the species in question.
Finally, it would be good if the species included in the CV training model could be made searchable in some way. There is a nice wiki for species often erroneously suggested by the CV
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/computer-vision-clean-up-wiki/7281 but I would like to have a more comprehensive way to find potential problem areas.

I’m debating with myself about what would be more useful - labeling the species that are in the CV model, or the ones that aren’t.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I think something like 20-30K “leaves” (species and higher taxonomic ranks) are included in the CV model that is in effect right now. No idea about the model that is being trained currently, but definitely more than what we have now. Considering that there are over 327K species in the iNat database right now (and I think but am not positive that that number is just species, not higher ranks), I think it’s more useful to label what has been trained on by the CV than what hasn’t. Of course, I’m fine either way!