Location of photo changes to last location used when uploaded

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 3.0.3 build 604

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : n/a

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/61970127

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Take photo using Camera

Step 2: Upload to iNaturalist using app with Photo Picker accessing Photo Library

Step 3: Notice that the location is incorrect - same as previous photo uploaded

Step 4: Manually go in and correct location ;{)

FYI - this is sporadic and has happened only twice, apparently randomly - I don’t know how to replicate it. But the original photo location data is not the issue, I can reupload the photo and it is fine.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @johnreiss! :)

1 Like

@johnreiss, if I understand your issue, it sounds like this may have happened at the time the photo was taken. Occasionally if you whip out your phone camera and take a photo, the GPS has not had time to register a new location and the photo gets stamped with the last known location. If that happened, that erroneous location will be what gets transferred into iNaturalist, but it’s not related to the iNaturalist app.

1 Like

That does happen sometimes, but here it is not the case - if I look directly at the info on the photo itself it is correct, and I can re-upload to iNat and the location is correct. I will post an update when (if) it happens again with a link to the incorrect one.

2 Likes

I can’t replicate. How long of a time is it since your previous upload?

Hi John, if this happens again, feel free to send me a message and I’ll re-open the topic. Thanks!