Location data off iphone works, but not once I'm on my desktop

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS 17.4.1; MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

When I upload observations from my phone directly to the iNat app on my phone, the location data populates. However, when I try to drag from my photos app on my desktop Mac to Chrome (iNaturalist.org), the location data doesn’t automatically populate.

I want to be abIe to upload and manage a lot of observations all at once, but losing the precise location data kind of defeats the purpose. Doing 60 observations one by one on my phone is also a pain. Please advise if there’s a better way to get locations data from the Photos app over to iNat. I should say i can see the location when I click “info” on the photo in the Photos app as well - it’s just not being grabbed by iNat when I try to upload in the browser.

Thanks!

In Settings for the Photos app, are you sharing location information?

We just recently had a discussion about this at https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/submitting-observations-from-apple-laptop-is-export-to-a-folder-a-necessary-step/49947/1. To me, the most foolproof way to get from the Apple Photos app on your laptop to iNat upload is to “export” the photos for observations to a file folder (make sure you are sharing location info, as @tiwane says) and then drop them into the iNat page. Dropping them directly from Apple Photos to the upload portal seems to work OK for some browsers but not others.

2 Likes

Instead, export photos from the Photos app. The location will be included with the exported photos.

3 Likes