Lowercase taxonomy

So it wasn’t a new font? :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks Tony

Taxonomy tab on safari at 12:50 pacific time looks the same as yesterday

2 Likes

URL? Did you clear Safari’s cache?

Yep, looking fine again.

1 Like

I had not cleared it, all good. URL for screenshot is https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/338596-Campopleginae

1 Like

Well, I cleared the cache on Chrome (Version 108.0.5359.125) and also tried Edge “InPrivate” (Version 108.0.1462.54). In both cases, I’m not logged in and the modifiers are lowercase. Different device than Safari on my iPhone. Not a big deal, just sharing. Same URL as before for continuity.

Thanks. I can replicate if I’m logged out.

1 Like

I noticed it for the first time today. The “needs” in “Needs ID” is also currently lowercase.

Platform : Website

Browser : Chrome

Am I misremembering or did there used to be more consistent capitalization on the site?
Now, when creating filters for identification, the options under “Sort By” are now lowercase, whereas Ascending/Descending are upper case.

Additionally, when clicking though observations in the ID interface, the info/suggestions/annotation/data-quality tabs are now lower case.

I know this is pretty meaningless in the scheme of things but it’s nice to have the capitalization consistent across the website.

I assume you’re not logged in? I see the proper capitalization if I’m logged in, but not when I’m logged out.

I’m logged in, still seeing it (Chrome). Also just checked in another browser (Safari) and seeing the same issue with “date added” and the tabs in identifier

If I’m logged in in Chrome I see the proper capitalization:

Have you tried hard refreshing that page? Here’s how to do a hard refresh: https://www.documate.org/resources/what-is-a-hard-refresh-how-to-do-a-hard-refresh-in-any-browser

1 Like

I don’t know what to tell you… I just did a hard refresh on Chrome. I deleted my cookies, cache and history last week (I don’t really want to go through that again). It is still lacking capitalization.

I just cleared my history, cache and cookies on Safari and am still seeing the issue.

I haven’t changed any of my settings on iNat in at least 6 months.

2 Likes

Thanks. To be clear I wasn’t doubting you, I’m just trying to eliminate variables to troubleshoot the issue as I couldn’t replicate this when logged in on my computer, either in Safari or Chrome. I assume your account’s locale is English?

1 Like

I can only replicate the issue when not logged in on Chrome, Firefox and Edge for the “Sort By” in Explore. When logged in, I see caps.

1 Like

yup. on inaturalist.org (not the other county websites). Language is English.
Chrome is up to date.
On my Android phone, the “Date Added” words are in title case.

This is such a small thing in the scheme of things. I can learn to live with it…but I guess if it’s indicative of other problems you want to get to the root of it?

This is a bug report and is about functionality that is not working as intended. Please keep posts focused on the bug at hand.

Update on my end:
Now Date observed is capitalized but the rest are not
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.12.19 AM

1 Like

By the way, I’ve been seeing the same thing as you these last few days (logged in on Chrome laptop, in the USA, default language English). Mine changed today to this, also.

1 Like

Safari on iPhone

Looks the same on chrome for windows, too

Thanks for the reports. When I look at account settings, I’m seeing en-US as the locale for affected accounts and en for accounts (like mine) that have not been affected. I think we use en-US when someone creates an account in the United States, even though that’s not really a supported locale on iNaturalist.

If you’re affected, I’d be interested to know what happens if you switch your locale, Save Settings, then switch back to just English and hit Save Settings again in your Account Settings. That should switch your account’s locale to just en. Do you still see the weird capitalization on that menu?