Maximum number of users tagged in a post

I wish to thank another user who has changed their image license in this post, but have now reached the maximum allowable number (10) of users that can be tagged in a single post. Since the post is a wiki and I hope to thank still more users, is there any way to exceed this maximum?

1 Like

Can I ask why they need to be tagged while thanking them? If they edited the wiki or have otherwise set for notifications on it, then they will get an alert regardless…

This is just my personal thinking… but a thankyou for someones’ input is sort of implied, we are all grateful for the efforts of others… I tend to reserve an actual thankyou for when someone has gone over and above what would normally be done, in which case I would tag them, or I might give thanks in other situations but if they “missed it because they didn’t have alerts set for it” then it’s ok cos it’s more about my expressing the thanks rather than them receiving it… if that makes sense.

Another time I might give a thankyou (and tag so it gets alerted) is if I think the recipient may not be aware of how helpful they have been. This manifests in iNat for me quite a bit… I will get observers thanking me for IDs, and I try to at least once for each (mostly new) user give a return thanks for them having “shared what they see”.

2 Likes

Ten is the default limit set by Discourse so it can’t currently be exceeded. I think it’s fine to just put their username here, people will know who’s contributed.

2 Likes

The users to be thanked are those that have responded to a separate request to change the license of one of their images and then changed it so that it can be uploaded to Wikipedia. None of these users will have edited the wiki-post before, or are likely to have ever seen this post previously. Only two of the usernames even came up on the autofill, so I suspect that the rest have never posted to (and have probably never read) any iNat Forum pages previously. Therefore, they would not have received any alerts on this editing activity

As changing the image license is often both new and confusing to a user (since there are separate licenses for the observation and each of the images), and that they may have been apprehensive about making the change to a more shareable license, it is appropriate to thank them publicly for their contributions. A wiki-post such as this serves as a tracking tool from listing the needed image, noting that a request has been made, and (hopefully) thanking a user once the image license has been changed.

If a user has been thanked by tagging them on the post, they may see the forum for the first time and see that they are not alone, but in good company with their actions. This in turn may (and in some instances already has) led to the users to then change their default license for all of their remaining observations as well.

Bottom line is that this is all about them receiving the thanks in recognition of their actions, not to be confused with me giving a “heart” or “like” on one of their posts.

2 Likes

Thanks Tony,
As this is a technical limitation to using Discourse, I understand the maximum imposed and will continue to send these users a follow-up message separately. I just needed to ask if there was a way to exceed it since over 80% of the iNat users that I wish to thank are not currently “on” iNat Forum.

1 Like

To accomplish that, I think you can just add a subsequent post to the thread and tag them there, and include a link to the top (wiki) post (where you can still add their usernames in acknowledgment, just without the @). Maybe wait until you have a few saved up, so the additional posts don’t proliferate overmuch.

Keep in mind, though, that most of the people you would tag might not (yet) be Forum members, and so would never receive any notification of the post anyway.

2 Likes