@ mention options don't show on screen until shrunk

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: the page when you click on an observation in the “Identify” section

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):
How it looks:

How it looks after shrinking the window with ctrl & (-)

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): I am not seeing tags on that screen when I try to @ someone. I finally figured out today, that rather than my browser set to 100% (normal zoom level), i have to shrink it to 60% (text illegible at that level practicaly) and it pops up then into the window.

1. go to identify
  2. click on an obsevation to add an id
  3. add id and start typing in the comment section
  4. add the @(start typing a name)
  5. the popup with the names does not show on the screen
  6. ctrl & (-) to shrink it all, and it will show up in some spot below where it was off screen, and could not scroll down to see.

This has been happening a LOT, i just finally figured out why the “@” was “broken”

1 Like

i can’t replicate. what is your screen resolution, and what is the system (Windows, not the browser) zoom level on your machine?

Windows 10 Pro
Display Resolution: 1980 x 1020 (recommended)
Scale: 100% (recommended)

With my Chrome browser at 100% (default) is when it doesn’t show. I have to shrink it to 60% to show.

1 Like

i still can’t reproduce the issue on my machine, using the same observation. can you reproduce the issue on other observations?

It works ok if there is only one or two ID’s on it, but if you have to scroll at all to get to where you can add yours, is when it is broke.
See this screen recording - and this time it actually gave me a teeny corner, which is how I figured it out the first time is I thought i saw it popped up for a second before disappearing back off screen.
…apparently I cannot upload video, so here is link: https://youtu.be/mLe-7LFCIXs

try this.

close down all instances of your browser, and then reopen it from scratch. go here (https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?user_id=noah363&taxon_id=55503&reviewed=any), and select the first observation, which should be the one in your original post, and try to do a @mention in the identification comment. are you able to reproduce the problem this way? (i can’t.)

in the past, i’ve seen cases where pop-ups will get shifted from their normal position over time, and i wonder if something like that is happening here? for example, maybe every time you do an identificaiton, it shifts that drop-down menu down 1 pixel, and then if you do it enough times, the menu gets shifted totally offscreen or something like that…

1 Like

Tried that, nope, same issue
I don’t tag people that often…maybe if it shifted like 50px in random ways each time, but it sometimes shows up to the left underneath the image even, it can be all over. Although it does happen more the more pages I go through; but it is always when I have to scroll to type something in. So maybe something with the scrolling ‘scrolls’ the popup too low somehow?

hmmm… maybe other folks can comment whether or not they can reproduce the issue.

the only other thing i can think of is maybe you have some sort of extension that might be causing the issue (in which case, turning off extensions might fix the problem)… or maybe you have some other strange setting in your browser setup that might be causing this (in which case resetting to browser defaults might fix the problem). not sure…

Is it because I type first? I do typically type things before just @-ing people.
I have adblock extension and that’s it :)

i’ve tried typing stuff before mentioning others, and i still can’t reproduce your issue. did you try turning off your adblocker? (i’d be surprised if that was the issue, but you never know.)

It is almost a year later - and I have that same issue of the @mention list lurking
just
below where I can read it.
I can see the edge of the blue box (name is there!), but can’t scroll to the list. I can click the blue corner, and get the name to show up - but need to check it is the name I wanted.

If I can’t remember the username, I open in a new tab. Where the @mention list shows up politely as expected.

Windows 10
1366 x 768
100%

1 Like

glad it isn’t just me; it still happens to me too

1 Like

i tried again to reproduce. it looks like the key is that you have to scroll the page down some amount before the issue will manifest itself. the more you scroll down the Identify screen, the more the dropdown list is displaced.

In between I had the list show up again.
Then it
crept
down
and disappeared again.

What does it take to force it to refresh back up to where we can see it again?
I log out at least twice a day - so that should be a fresh start. Most of my URLs are set to view a screen of 10 obs at a time (clicking each one to popup) - should also force a refresh?