Menu of frequently identified species in Identify?

When I’m using Identify, I find myself frequently typing the same species name over and over and over. This begs the question: is there a menu of frequently identified species available? I might have run into it accidentally, but don’t know how I did it. 2-3 times suddenly this list of about 3 species appeared in a list over the upper left corner of Identify. At the time, I was kind of annoyed, thinking “where did this window come from?” I couldn’t figure out how to delete it without reloading Identify. Is this perhaps something I can use?

can you provide specific examples of what your Identify settings / url would be, and what species?

Similar idea from the Agree thread.

The thing I suspect you’re referring to is a known bug:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/spurious-dropdown-menu-appears-in-identify-mode/10114

1 Like

There is a thing which might be at least sort of related. It’s not what you frequently identify, but what people frequently observe nearby

3 Likes

Sometimes, I set up keyboard shortcuts for creating oft-used bits of text such as you describe. I don’t know that you need an iNat feature, if you can find such a function on the platform(s) you prefer. (Not that a keyboard shortcut as above would handle your annotations .)

what you’re describing seems like it more directly addresses what dan_johnson was asking for. my suggestion that was quoted from another post would be to combine multiple actions into a single keystroke. for example, pressing “1” would add an ID and add a comment and add an annotation. whereas with your keyboard shortcuts, or using some other sort of personal set of commonly used text snippets, you’re still having to ID, then paste in and select a taxon, then paste in comment text, then select an annotation… but some version of what you’re describing is probably the most efficient thing for most people in the current world.

1 Like

Yes, you are right and the shortcut text I described would not handle the accompanying annotations. Perhaps someone with the right kind of expertise can describe if writing a macro of some kind would address such a need.

yes, back in the day, i had thought about making a whole page that would serve as a prototype for what i was describing, but it’s a lot of work with that kind of approach. but it might be easier to make something like this by going with a browser extension approach like @sessilefielder demonstrated here (https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/computer-vision-should-tell-us-how-sure-it-is-of-its-suggestions/1230/44), perhaps even extending that project to include something like what i’m describing here. (the downside with an extension is that you’d have to maintain one for each browser or related set of browsers. i’m also a little paranoid about browser extensions in general because of the level of access you have to provide them to let them do what they need to do sometimes.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.