Metalmark butterfly taxonomy

The Riodinid taxonomic framework on iNaturalist is a bit out-of-date, and I’m not sure who’s currently in charge of its curation so wanted to check here before doing anything. A series of phylogenetic studies have all validated the genus-level taxonomic scheme published by Seraphim et al. in 2018:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322403544_Molecular_phylogeny_and_higher_systematics_of_the_metalmark_butterflies_Lepidoptera_Riodinidae_Molecular_phylogeny_and_systematics_of_Riodinidae

The biggest thing that I noticed is that the genus Hamearis, which belongs in the subfamily Nemeobiinae, is given its own tribe in the subfamily Riodininae.

Can anyone help here? Thanks!

4 Likes

Well, we had an agreement for Neotropical butterflies to follow the classification in ButterfliesofAmerica.com, which needs updating to reflect recent publications. The idea is to wait for that to happen first, so we have a single source for the iNat classification. Unfortunately, BoA updates have been delayed at the moment, we’re still trying to resolve that.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! @edanko Although I don’t know butterflies, my understanding is that iNat tries to follow broad, open sources for its taxonomy. Like Bugguide for NA insects. There is a listing in the Curators guide.

Thank you @kwillmott ! The riodinids most in need of taxonomic help are those like Hamearis that are actually Palearctic. Do you know the iNat authority for Old World butterflies?

There is none.

Okay then… would it be okay to fix up the Old World riodinids in accordance with current taxonomic consensus then?

As a curator, you are free to change anything you want outside of locked groups.

It’s kind of a chicken and egg situation though, if there were a global consensus resource it would be in use already.

You just need to be prepared to deal with the pushback. Anytime you start changing taxonomy in a highly observed group (there are over 32000 records of Metalmarks, how many would move I dont know), you are going to almost inevitably have to deal with resistance from folks who dont agree with the changes.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s all higher-level taxonomy stuff so I think it will be OK.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.