Microsoft Windows Clipboard: a useful tool for Identify

Check this out: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028529/windows-10-clipboard .

I think this will be very useful when working with Identify for quickly selecting frequently identified species or adding the same comment frequently. Do people here already know about it?

3 Likes

to copy a text string, it is enough to press Alt-C, then Alt-V to paste it wherever. Is it working on your computer?

in Windows, the usage would be CTRL+C to copy, and then CTRL+V to paste the latest copied value or [Windows Key]+V to open up the copy history from which you can select different items to paste.

I stand corrected, I was thinking of the Ctrl, but used Alt due to the Alt-Ctrl-Del addiction. :innocent:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I usually use a Mac, only lately got a Windows PC for office work - and just now found out about the clipboard and the

+ V combination (and even better: it is possible to pin a text string so that even after re-start the copied text remains in the memory) - that would be a very helpful tool for me if I would use iNat on a Windows PC.

This feature, however, made me search if something similar exists for Mac as well, and what I found is even better:
I am now using the program Rocket Typist (basic version is freeware) for frequently used responses and ID-tipps. What’s really helpful is the option to customise a string of characters (e.g. three to four letters) and after typing them they will be automatically converted into the assigned text.

Example: typing 'srco' will be directly (after hitting the space bar) displayed as ‘members of the subfamily Sarcophaginae can almost never be identified without microscopy of the male terminalia’

I find this especially helpful when using Identify for a certain taxon and thus adding explanations and ID-tipps for this specific taxon is made very easy. Of course I could make a template in a text program and copy+paste the sentences, but I find this method is much easier

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.