Mothing season in the northern hemisphere is almost over, what were your best finds, stories, cool species this year?

Roughly 210 moth species observed this year, with 195 in my garden. (Day flying moths and caterpillars included in this count.) I don’t have enough observations to track trends, but I can say it was a very good year for Hyles lineata and a very bad year for Prodoxidae in New Mexico.

Highlights:

1. Apparent first NM record for Penstemon clarkei
  2. Tentative first iNat records for Acrolophus luriei, Acrolophus seculatus, Chionodes metoecus, Coleotechnites huntella, Cucullia eccissica, Decodes stevensii, and Anarta inconcinna
  3. Completing the sweep of (western North America) Heliodinidae genera with my first Aetole
  4. All of the other arthropods I saw while mothing: approx 20 species each of hoppers and Mirids, 17 species of Neuroptera, 7 species each of scarabs and Braconids, 5 species of click beetles, plus mayflies, vinegaroons, and many hungry spiders
  5. Observers in New Mexico contributed more than 10,000 moth observations of more than 1,100 species in 2022!

Photo: Schinia with a broken clock

Finally, it was a sad year with the passing of Ian Toal and Vic Fazio, both well-respected members of the iNaturalist community

10 Likes