! Moths ! Come Towards The Light

What’s up moth people!

Let’s hang out & talk moths.

What are your favorite types?

Tips & tricks?

Good resources; online or books?

What moth first inspired you to look more into the moth group?

Who do you follow to learn more about this species?

Let’s talk moths!

5 Likes

My favorite type of moths are plume moths I’ve only seen them a few times but I love them.

3 Likes

I love moths too! Did you know Hong Kong has around 2500 moth species? I cordially invite you checking out the Hong Kong Moths Project and delight yourself with the moth biodiversity in this small region on Earth.

4 Likes

Have you looked in these threads?

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/wiki-common-north-american-noctuid-moth-identification/10831
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/types-of-moths-how-many-have-you-seen/33096
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/national-moth-week-moth-appreciation-post/24951

5 Likes

I don’t know plumes all that well but that distinctive T-shape gives them away :)

6 Likes

Wow! I did not know that ! I am in USA, California so I’m sure the species are pretty different! Thanks I will check it out :)

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into these. Looks like the moth conversation(s) has already been started !

1 Like

I love sphinx moths & pretty much any of the larger moths. I saw my first Polyphemus Moth on a doorway outside of my work & I could not shut up about it, I asked everyone who came in “Hey! Did you see the moth ??” They did not seem as excited about it as I was, haha. Here is a picture of it.

8 Likes

I just like Lepidoptera, can’t name one group that would start it, I always liked insects, they all are fine and cool, until they eat your expensive costume. My oldest survived observation of them is a this caterpillar from 2009, but I like geometrids and torticids more with their high number of species, we don’t have any big species here, other than sphingids that you see for a second at night when they fly by at great speed.

2 Likes

I personally just cannot get enough of the saturniids! Especially the North American saturniids, they’re some of the most beautiful animals in the entire world. Cecropia is absolutely number 1, but they’re all absolute gems. I recently had the honor of seeing my first Io moth the other day too, so cool!

4 Likes

I like all Lepidoptera to some degree, but Bombycoidea is my favorite superfamily. I love the massive size and beautiful wings of the moon and silk moths, the cool intricate shapes of sphinx moth wings, the unique flight of hummingbird/hawkmoths, and even if they aren’t huge, the Rosy Maple Moth is probably the cutest insect to exist.

I was actually heavily considering going to a moth week event somewhere near me, which would be my first public/organized naturalist event because of how much I like them. There’s also a butterfly walk very close by next week so I might end up doing that as well, though I’ve luckily been able to observe most of the species in my area so I haven’t really decided.

Also, I’m at 87 Research Grade lep observations, only 13 more to go to break 100!

3 Likes

I love moths. I live in Manhattan. There is too much light at night in my backyard to do a moth sheet, so I usually can only observe day-flying moths in my local parks:

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/moths-of-new-york-county-manhattan-islands

On that project, if I can find another two species I will have observed 100 species locally, not counting the moths I have seen in California, in Florida, and on Nevis in the West Indies.

I have some species that are recorded from larvae only, including some leafminer moths.

2 Likes

@volt77 Welcome to the Forum!
My first introduction to moths was a summer job when I was an Entomology student way back in the 1980’s. Three times per week I had to collect moths from a 64 square Km pheromone moth trapline. Then identify them. I also identified moths from a light trap at Glenlea MB. I then worked as a tech at Ag Canada until 1986. Took a 30 year hiatus! When I joined iNat, I went back to what I knew and liked - Noctuid moths. Mostly identification.
I love the Genus Euxoa, although are very difficult to identify. My favourite moth is the rather simple looking Army Cutworm (Mythimna unipunta). I’ve done some work on the species, it has subtle beauty, and has a migratory pattern. Quite fasciating.

3 Likes

YES! I absolutely love Saturniids ! Beautiful !

I think their huge size has alot to do with thier appeal for me.

I feel like Saturniids just pull me in, its so cool to see them in the wild.

YAY thats exciting for you, you can do it! I agree Rosy Maple Moths are just unreal, like how is that beneficial in nature to be those vibrant yellows & pinks?? I love trying to get more exposure to moths as much as possible, going to butterfly walk areas seem like a good idea, it is hard with moths being primarily nocturnal to see them in the wild. Has anyone set up any moth lamps at night time to get a better view of them?

1 Like

That is so awesome ! Have you ever tried setting up a moth lamp ( just a brightly lit lamp ) at night time to see what will come to you ? I do suppose in Manhattan all the light pollution would make it hard. Are there any areas outside of the Manhattan area that are more rural that you could try ? I am originally from Michigan so I am rather naïve to what types of landscapes you have available to you.

Thanks for sharing ! Sounds like you have quite a bit of “mothing” experience. I am glad their are a variety of moth lovers that like their particular types, honestly there are SO many moths in North America (and beyond), it is nearly impossible to be a master of all the varieties. I feel that people find their niche group or species & become well versed in it. It is easiest for me to identify Sphingidae & Saturniids just based of their large sizes & shapes. I am glad there are Euxoa people out there too!

2 Likes

Anyone able to identify the differences between:
-Pink Striped Oakworm Moths
-Orange Tipped Oakworm Moths
-Spiny Oakworm Moths

I have the greatest trouble deciding which are which when IDing for I Nat & I don’t want to get it wrong. Do Spiny’s only have spots?

2 Likes

Hello! Moth person here! I think what first sparked my love of moths was visiting a local natural history museum. It’s very small but their insect collection captivated me as a child, especially their Luna Moth. Unfortunately, I still have yet to ever see one alive but I have hope that I might one day. I have a sentimental spot in my heart for the Polyphemus Moth as well since they’re the first large Saturniid that I can recall seeing in the wild.

While the Giant Silkmoths sparked my initial curiousity, my time here on iNat, especially helping with identification, has introduced me to a lot of new moths I love. I’ve become especially font of both Lappet and Prominent moths, with Trabala ganesha, Euglyphis laronia and many species of Disphragis being some of my favorite examples. However, my current favorite moth is actually a Noctuid, the Indian Lily Moth. iNat has definitely helped me broaden the scope of my appreciation!

2 Likes

It’s not my group, but it looks like these are complicated moths to ID. This is what I see (top to bottom on your list):

• Anisota senatoria Appears like it is less speckled, and does not have a strong basal line. https://bugguide.net/node/view/5167
  • Anisota stigma Appears to have heavy spotting, and a fairly distinct basal line. https://bugguide.net/node/view/441
    If you really want to become proficient, all these pages have websites discussing the intricacies of the moths. Including range etc. Sometimes host plants and range are important - especially in mountains - so they may be worth looking at.
3 Likes