Multiple images selection in gallery disabled in latest update, and photo metadata not being read

I also just got both of these issues. They make the app pretty much unusable for me, and I’m sure the same applies for anyone else who uses it.

Hi @tiwane, So just to confirm, once the bug is fixed, iNat will convert back to the same process for logging obs in an iPhone? Multiple images (max.4) and the location is tagged onto the images.

As some have mentioned in here I am in hold mode until this reverts back to that process. It is impossible to record a vegetation community any other way.

1 Like

I have a screen shot for you
The first ones are of the photo
On the phone the others are
Of the observation on INat
After upload

I just noticed but not only is the location off the date and time is to
This photo was taken on the 26rh after 1700 hours
I just noticed is

I am having the exact same issue being described by others. I have nothing new to add, but am relieved to discover I am not alone.

I’m having all the same issues as well, using version 2.8.2 on an iPhone 8 running iOS 13.1.3.

1 Like

Same issue for me too on iPhone X running iOS 13.1.3 and iNat 2.8.2

1 Like

I’m having the same issues. I’ve been so frustrated trying to figure out a way around them (and I am not particularly computer/app savvy). I hope there will be fix soon. Any idea when that might be, iNaturalist staff?

2 Likes

Posting to log the same problem. The location data simply does not go through.

i’m using IPhone 8 with iNat 2.8.2 build 544. the problem occurred with both IOS 12.3.1 and IOS 13.2

2 Likes

I am also having the same problem, the time and location of my photos are posting with my current location and time. Trying to post from my iPad Air running IOS 12.1.1 with photos taken on my iPhone 11 running iOS 13.1.3

1 Like

Hey folks, I’m sorry you’re being affected by this bug. We’re working on a fix, right now we have to wait on Apple for some approvals (it’s not something we have any control over, alas). I don’t believe we need further reports, but thank you for chiming in.

4 Likes

I don’t think you are realizing how big of an issue this is. I am seeing all sorts of photos popping up in my area that people took while traveling, uploaded later on their phone, and assumed the location data was automatic. This is leading to all sorts of incorrect posts. I’m seeing observations with mountains in the background posted in the middle of the city here in Austin, TX. This has the potential to really cause issues and ruin a lot of data. Please fix this ASAP

6 Likes

I’ve stoped posting because of this
The date and time are off too

1 Like

Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon! I have a backlog of photos to post once everything’s working again!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. We just needed to know where you are at with this.

1 Like

Agree. My veg mapping is at an absolute standstill. Fingers crossed this is fixed ASAP. It’s already been a few days,

1 Like

OK, the metadata bug fix has been released, version 2.8.3 in the App Store. It’s working for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for fixing the metadata issue. Are there any plans to revert the image selecting process back to the original method?

4 Likes

That will take longer. The multi-photo chooser we were using is unstable on iOS 13 and was causing many crashes, so we temporarily reverted to a standard one image at a time chooser until it can be brought up to date. Once we can implement a stable multi-image chooser, we will release it in an update.

2 Likes

It’s working again :+1::+1:
One photo at a time :grin:

2 Likes