Natura 2000 sites

Do you know about the Natura 2000 sites in Wallonia (Belgium)? These are natural or semi-natural sites recognized for their high ecological value at the European level. These areas are identified with the purpose of protecting biodiversity and rare and threatened natural habitats.

In Wallonia, there are currently 240 Natura 2000 sites, covering almost 220,000 hectares of land. Among them, there are forests, wetlands, rivers, cliffs, plains, and other natural habitats. These areas are home to a wide variety of animal and plant species, some of which are endangered.

The protection of Natura 2000 sites is ensured through a series of conservation measures aimed at preserving natural habitats and ensuring the survival of rare and threatened species. Human activities such as agriculture, fishing, hunting, or outdoor recreation are regulated in these areas to prevent any harm to the environment.

If you are a nature lover, Natura 2000 sites are places not to be missed. They offer beautiful landscapes and house a rich and varied fauna and flora.

1 Like

Quite true, and not just for Belgium :blush:. There are a great many Nature 2000 sites throughout Europe, but they are often not well known, so although they may be adequately protected on paper, this is unfortunately too often not reflected by the reality (at least in Italy where I live). They make excellent “hunting grounds” for observers, but always bear in mind that, especially in a protected area, observing and photographing nature should always be respectful of the life forms and/or habitats directly or indirectly involved. Even with the best intentions, it’s all too easy to cross the line and become a disturbance and a risk, rather than a valuable observer and contributor to knowledge. But I’m sure you all know and respect that already :wink:.

2 Likes

Thank you Lynkos for the clarification :)

I admit that I don’t travel much outside of my country and I was not aware of such areas outside of Belgium.

And as you rightly say, exploring sites of such quality requires being respectful and attentive to the well-being of their occupants.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.