Nature-inspired memes

Flightless fruit flies. You can also use crickets, houseflies, roaches, etc.
Only from the pet store.

2 Likes

So you don’t catch wild bugs?

WHAT?? I’ve never heard that before (it seems I haven’t gone to the pet store in a looooong time).

3 Likes

Hey wait, is that a phone case?? I didn’t realize, I thought it was something else.

They can have pesticides so I prefer not to catch from outside. It’s only like 8$us per month to buy from the pet store.

There are three types of people when I say I like spiders. People who think it’s cool, people who think it’s fine, and people who tell you about the big one they stepped on last Tuesday.

21 Likes

Not even bugs from your garden or something like that? I think I should try that hobby somewhere soon, jumping spiders are fascinating, although I’m not very fan of live feeding (that’s why caterpillars make my perfect pet, you should try raising them).

PS: Nice desk!

2 Likes

I have raised caterpillars before! It’s fun!

My mom uses pesticides in the garden, that’s why I use ones from the store. It’s also hard to find suitable food outdoors during winter.

Jumping spiders unfortunately do need live feeding, to be most heathy, but can every once in a while can eat pre-killed and they will be healthy. If you need care tips you can ask me.

18 Likes

Can’t you convince her to stop using them?

Yeah, they need live moving prey to recognize it as food. Oh thanks, I’ll ask you if I have any doubt or question about their breeding, but first I need to catch one…

I can’t with that meme :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
‘‘Invertebr…’’

1 Like

Can relate, once I got sick in a bus and ambulance came, worker there asked about my interests, I said I love gulls, they spent next 5 mins laughing at how horrible gulls are and how they’re the worst birds.

5 Likes

She does it because my little sister who is three has pretty bad reactions to mosquito bites. What looks like a small read bump to most is a large red bump several inches/cm across. Understandably she cares more about her child having large reactions to bites than it possibly causing a jumper to die. I say possibly because she uses more natural insecticides that are more specific for mosquitoes. Not sure how true it is.

1 Like

Hey! Their job is to take care of a sick person, not to laugh at his/her interests. And gulls aren’t at all horrible. I love them too, they’re fascinating, handsome and very smart. And not to mention the amazing flight skills they have.

3 Likes

There’s a very invasisive (outside of South America?) Tree Tobacco (Nicotiana glauca) which can be made into a neonicitinoid pesticide.

I thought about doing this myself since I see this growing everywhere around me, until learning that this pesticide had been phased out historically because it’s not just harmful to humans, but very broadly affects other life as well.

Maybe a case where synthetic pesticides might be better and less harmful than natural ones? I may be wrong though. Historically, efficacy and cost seem to be what’s most important in pesticide use without as much concern about side effects.

2 Likes

Sadly so true. Not only spiders, but also snakes, insects, and crabs. :cry:

5 Likes

What would it be for crabs? Like, “mmm crab is so delicious”

3 Likes

yep. I believe the flightless variety of fruit flies is a captive-bred strain. they were originally bred for lab work, but have proved useful for feeding captive animals. not being able to fly makes them easier to contain and transport, and means they cannot evade whatever you’re feeding them to by flying

4 Likes

Phobias may be different here in Florida, but I know a lot of people who dislike crabs. They’re like, “Ew, I had to kill 3 crabs today”, which is sad.

4 Likes

Wow, everyone loves crabs here, of course they love to catch them, but killing for nothing is unheard of, never could’ve guessed it’s possible.

5 Likes

Wrong IDs can be a bit funny sometimes

8 Likes

Are you also on Reddit?

9 Likes

Reminds me of this practice of harvesting crabs “sustainably” by removing a claw and releasing.

3 Likes

God I feel this one. I occasionally identify captive fish observations and by god, I have never seen more horribly misidentified fish in my life! I can understand not knowing what some obscure fish species you saw at a public aquarium, but how can you misidentify super common aquarium fish like Goldfish, Guppies and Oscars??? I kid you not, I’ve seen Platies, Tinfoil Barbs, Tricolour Sharkminnows and Black Skirt Tetras ID’d as Goldfish, Goldfish ID’d as Red Shiner, Paddletail Snapper as Pacific Creolefish, and various surgeonfish as Oscar.

And so many of them are fish in people’s own aquariums!! How do you not know what fish are in your own fish tank?? It completely baffles me.

6 Likes