New Curator with Questions

Thanks, I’m discussing it with an experienced curator on the species flag (https://www.inaturalist.org/flags/588466#activity_comment_f71cb267-3f97-4597-a079-8832deaee2d6). He said my options were to let the community sort it out, or make a split and he drafted a split. I think most of the images could go where they should have gone by adding atlases prior to committing to the split but when I try to edit an atlas it doesn’t look like the tutorial I have for atlases. I don’t see a map or any option to add a country. I just have a list of countries which aren’t even alphabetized and “explode”. Clicking on explode added the country to a list at the top of the page and an orange outline to that country on the atlas but I had to go to another page to see that this had happened even though I never clicked update and I see no option to remove them if I wanted to. What am I doing wrong? Edit: I don’t know what was different before but it seems to be working for me now.

OK, took a break and came back and now I think I I’m where I’m supposed to be. I have a map I can click on and the options I was missing before are there.

The info page about atlases says:

“Remove this place” is a powerful but also dangerous tool. It will remove up to 100 relevant listed taxa driving the atlas presence place at once. Remember, this might mean removing not just a listed taxon for the species in the country, but up to 100 listed taxa for descendant states and counties and descendant subspecies and varieties. Only use this tool if you are confident that the species does not occur in that place. If you misuse the “Remove this place” tool, you’ll have to manually add back all the listed taxa you destroyed which can be a lot of work.

When I started working on the atlas a lot of places were automatically added … and some were not even though there was an observation there, so I don’t understand that. There are some places I want to remove because they either really don’t belong on there or because none of the observations we have belong there so I thought it would help with the split. I don’t really understand the ramifications of removing a place that has observations so I’m too afraid to.

This hasn’t been my experience. The images are copied onto the output taxon, but they also remain on the input taxon as well.
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxon_changes/114819

Someone else may be able to explain this better than I can, but my understanding is that only RG observations make a place automatically added to an atlas. But I’m not sure how listed taxa fit into things.

Removing a place won’t affect any of the observations within said place unless a taxon change happens. The warning just means if you remove a place from an atlas, you may have to add a bunch of places back to undo it. For example, if someone removed Australia from any of the atlases in this split, it would be a huge pain to add back all the county-level places. But now that the split is committed it won’t really affect things to change the atlas. I think you’re probably OK removing places in this case.

1 Like

That’s a relief. I didn’t add any locations that specific, just whole countries … though that reminds me of another question. I added Russia to one of the atlases, I think I only need half of the country (relying on this: https://araneae.nmbe.ch/data/1249/Alopecosa_trabalis) but it looked like it wasn’t worth the trouble?

Yeah the way some countries have lower level places set up it’s a huge pain to make atlases. Because of this, I always atlas at the highest level I need. It may seem odd to add all of Russia when you only need a piece, but it’s not incorrect and it’s the most efficient way to do things. There are some other posts addressing things like this.
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/custom-made-areas-for-atlases/24536/7

1 Like

This may be true of taxon photos, but my impression was that the OP was referring to all observation photos of a taxon, not just the “example” photos selected for a taxon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.