New User Tutorial Badge

If you have discovered the badge system, you might also have noticed the following badge:

Capture0

It took me a while to find out how to start that tutorial. To do so, just send a direct message to “discobot” with any subject text, but have “start new user” as the only body text.

[UPDATE] The new user tutorial is now started by sending “Start Tutorial” to discobot as a direct message, or with a mention such as “@discobot start tutorial”

The bot will then reply to you, and following the instructions given, you will be undertaking the New User Tutorial and earning the Certified badge!

There is an advanced tutorial (and badge) that can be done once you have completed the new user tutorial, and it is accessed by sending “start advanced tutorial” to discobot.

10 Likes

super new users will now see this as their first message from discobot when they sign up:

4 Likes

@kiwifergus
I did this
And didn’t earn the badge
Has this changed ???

2 Likes

No, as far as I am aware it should still work. Did you follow the tutorial to the very end? Restart it and it might pick up where you left off…

After this one there is the Advanced Tutorial, which is started in a similar way

3 Likes

1 Like

That’s the reply

1 Like

looks like it’s “start tutorial” now

1 Like

What other ways are there to get that badge

1 Like

Did you try “start tutorial”?

1 Like

Good idea
I’ll give that one a try

1 Like

I just experimented, and it is indeed “start tutorial” and “start advanced tutorial”.

@bouteloua does the first message to new users still kick off?

1 Like

I can’t find how to edit this tutorial to reflect the change, are the tutorials in discourse not editable once they are created? Another possibility would be to delete this topic and redo it with the new commands

1 Like

Yes, new users receive a message from discobot:

You should have a little pencil icon to edit any of your posts, including the first post in this topic.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, too!

but my other posts do:

1 Like

Hmm, looks like there might be a post edit time limit set. I messaged Tony to ask him about it. In the meantime I’ll change your first post into a wiki, which should allow you to edit it.

1 Like

I’ve completed the first one
All smooth sailing

2 Likes

excellent! there is the advanced tutorial too, “start advanced tutorial” to discobot in the same way…

3 Likes

And that’s the next one
When time permits

1 Like

It’s “start advanced tutorial”.

Whoops, just saw kiwifergus’s message above. I don’t think there is anything beyond the advanced tutorial, but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen nor heard of anything past the advanced tutorial. Between the two, there’s not a lot that’s not covered!

2 Likes