No locality data provided

Some users supply no locality data. Locality is important for identifications. I suggest users supply some form of location to aid taxonomist and others recognise the taxa in the future. It would be helpful if naturalist enter at least a country, or even better a state or province. With invertebrates especially, too much effort and training is required to recognize many drably colored brown or black taxa. I fully understand the need to protect locality data for rare or endangered species, and habitats, but that does not mean you cannot give a more general listing. Am I overlooking a valid reason not to supply at least some locality data?

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @cokendolpher!

I also have to ask for location sometimes when I am identifying. I find that usually these posts are from new users who donā€™t understand the difference between Private and Obscured. Maybe better onboarding would help.
The next largest category is likely from mistakes ā€“ geotagging didnā€™t load properly or they just forgot to add location data.

It is annoying but not a huge deal, especially if you have pre-written text you can copy/paste in to ask for a general location.

Also, are you looking at Casual observations? Because observations with private location arenā€™t going to show up in the default Needs ID queue. Maybe you can share what your Identify settings are?

3 Likes

I must admit that I just tend to skip past any observation which does not have at least basic locality data, I know this is not the best way to handle this situation except in special cases it is the route I take.

Iā€™ve taken to posting this paragraph when I think location is important:

ā€˜When you choose the geoprivacy setting ā€œprivate,ā€ we identifiers donā€™t even know what continent the observation is from. That can make identification difficult. If you want to keep the location hidden, please either change the geoprivacy setting to ā€œobscured,ā€ which will smear the possible location out over a few square miles, or add a comment telling us the continent and region where this organism was observed.ā€™

Sometimes Iā€™ll write a comment (not an identification) saying something like ā€œif this frog was in eastern North America itā€™s a Green Frog.ā€ And sometimes, like @gcsnelling , I just go right on past because my patience with invisible sites is low.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.