Not remembering me when I log in

I have a iNaturalist account specific to iNat

1 Like

Thanks. I log in with e-mail and a password specific to iNat.

I should add that since I posted this, I haven’t had to sign in. It’s remembering me.

Well, that didn’t last long. What is working though is to use a different browser. Firefox has remembered my log in for a few weeks now so I’d say it’s another of Safari’s problems,

I’m on a MacBook Pro that I recently installed Mojave on, using Safari 12.1.2. For at least a week I kept getting the OAuth message and the one about trying something I wasn’t authorized to do (raised in other threads). Now I just seem to get the one on the attached screenshot. Sometimes it seems to resolve itself, but other times it doesn’t and I have to keep trying until it finally lets me in. I use my iNat name and password, trying to log on through iNat.

1 Like

See https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/log-in-using-oauth-2-page-after-logging-in/5734 for discussion specifically related to Forum login issues.

Lets keep this thread focused on iNaturalist site login issues. But good to note that there are similar issues happening in both contexts.

2 Likes

sorry—I thought that’s what they were talking about

2 Likes

No problem, and I would encourage you to leave your post up, as it does highlight that there are similar issues going on in both places. Just wanted to make sure additional posters didn’t go down the Forum road in this thread. :grinning:

2 Likes

okay—I restored it

2 Likes

I am still having the repeated permission problems. I use iNat enough that I would rather just log in specific to the site now, but I can’t create one with my username or email. The merging directions did not work for me.
Any suggestions or links with updated directions would be appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t see any mentions by you about past problems, and without knowing specific details about exactly what’s happening, it’s tough to diagnose the issue. Can you please share screenshots of what you’re seeing? Are you logging in using your username/email and password, or via a third party like Google?

1 Like

Platform: Web site using Windows

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc):

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots:

Description of problem: every time I log into iNat. the Remember Me box is unticked, even tho I tick it every time I log in. Why doesn’t this work?

2 Likes

Are you entering username/email address and password info, or are you logging in via a third party like Google? Which browser are you using?

Suddenly, I also have to log-in each time, even though I check Remember Me. I figured I may have accidentally switched to Private Mode browsing. Private Mode is a bit reassuring to me, but inconvenient in that my log-ins may stop being persistent.

Do you, by chance, use Private mode in your browser?

1 Like

I am not the OP, but it happens to me too, almost always, even after a short break. Safari, which offers my username correctly, then as soon as I select that and hit enter, it fills in the pw and I am logged in immediately, with no opportunity to check Remember me, no matter how quick I try to be.
Occasionally it then goes to the iNatNZ log in, and I have to do it again.

Yesterday I tried checking Remember Me BEFORE entering username, and today I was already logged in when I browsed to the iNat homepage. Yay.

3 Likes

I log in directly: I don’t go into iNat via Facebook, google etc.
I use the latest version of Firefox on a Win 8.1 PC.

What is Private mode?

My understanding is that some browsers have a Setting such that you can turn on Private Mode, so that your browsing data is not being collected when you visit websites. One effect is that websites you visit do not show in your History. (That doesn’t necessarily mean you are not being tracked by the websites you visit, tho, just the browser.)

This may explain it better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_browsing

Thx. I don’t have Private mode switched on. Have learnt that you are meant to tick the box BEFORE you log in. So I have suggested that the login screen be re-designed so that the Remember Me box is ABOVE the log in fields.

3 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: I’m being automatically logged out of iNaturalist