Number of observation in search

Can you display the number of observations that come up when one done a search in a person’s observations? I do a search of my observations, looking for all I have uploaded regarding a specific location (for example), and I have to manually count them all instead of seeing “Total : 38 Observations in your Search” (for example).

1 Like

Hi @arthur-windsor, welcome to the forum! I moved this topic from #feature-requests to #general because it seemed more like a question, and it’s already possible to display the number of observations in a search.

If you click “Your Observations” in the header, it brings you to: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&subview=grid&user_id=arthur-windsor&verifiable=any

From there, you can view your total number of observations (currently 670). To limit it to a certain place, click Fliters>More filters>then type the place name in the bottom left. For example, you have 427 observations in Palm Beach County: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=1754&user_id=arthur-windsor&verifiable=any

3 Likes

No. When you search your own observations and use the filters, for example “feeding” I used as a Tag. The search successfully brings up the Observations I am looking for. I would like at the top for it to say… “27 Observations found in this search”.

Also, in the same search area, if you are doing a search of your own Observations, you can search by Month in which you had the Observation, it would be nice to also choose one of the four seasons.

I am proud of myself, I added 18 new places in Palm Beach County and some neighboring areas yesterday.

Thank you for your time.

Can you please share URLs of the searches you’re performing?

1 Like

What I am suggesting is, somewhere between the blue search tab & the red letter A, it would be helpful if the number of your searches were displayed. Example: You have 10 results in this search.

The way it is now, you have to count them.

Ah, for some context, what is now called the “Edit observations” page is a pretty outdated page on the website and I only use it when I want to do batch editing (rarely). It should probably just be removed and replaced with the “Your Observations” page, or updated with more/better editing features.

If/Whenever it’s updated I agree it would make sense to add the number of observations returned in a search. But I’m pretty sure that page has barely been touched for something like 4 or 5 years.

In the main header of the website, click Your Observations:

Then click Filters:

Then type in or select your filters:

Then at the top of the page it displays the number of results.

Another way is to, if you’re on an existing observation, click the tag that says feeding:

And then select your username in the filters:

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for! You were very kind and generous with your time to help guide me here, and I thank you for that. By the way, my FEEDING observations are now at 50 as I look on my hard drive for more. This way of viewing what tags I have accumulated is a good tool to help me hone in on specific types of observations I will also want to post, like MATING, INJURY, etc. You have given me something that will help me climb in the ranks, thanks again!

3 Likes

:) happy iNatting!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.