NY Times Profile of Charley Eiseman

Nice article about @ceiseman! I’ve made this a gift article, anyone should be able to access it. Thanks for all of your hard work, Charley!

I like the last paragrah:

Mr. Eiseman understands: This is not the stuff of headlines like the monarch on its milkweed or the pollinators’ plight. But he wants to make the case for these unsung, unseen heroes. And he wants us to make room for them — undisturbed and a bit better understood — in our gardens.

Here’s the Leafminers of North America project.

How many people started noticing leafmines because of iNat?

47 Likes

Love it. I know I didn’t know what a leaf miner was until I joined here. Now I’ve got photos of over 100 of them. Charlie a huge factor in that.

4 Likes

Awesome article, nicely done @ceiseman !! How great it is to see the increase in articles which support letting things be as they naturally are to help skew the perception that a pristine yard and beautiful yard are not mutually exclusive, and I think the article, with @ceiseman 's comments and guidance highlights how interesting and important this ‘niche’ group can be. Great headliner pic with the aspen serpentine leafminer moth too! Let’s just not tell the public some of the designs in the photos are made from insect larvae poo…

I need to give credit where credit is due for getting me to notice galls and miners; iNaturalist facilitated for sure but I’m positive I wouldn’t have gotten as interested if it weren’t for the prolific identifiers of these groups that we have on the site. They do a truly magnificent job and, with a little scheming with a few of them, I’ve actually managed to help document some things that hadn’t previously been photographed. It’s been great fun and I’ve truly appreciated the information and guidance they have provided.

4 Likes

Great article! Congrats @ceiseman!

2 Likes

That’s a great article! Hope @ceiseman example will help experts outside of NA to id leafmines and galls and describe new ones as often as he does!

3 Likes

Thank you for providing that wonderful article. Looks like I’ll have another title on my book wish list,too.
To answer your question,yes, I am one that started to really notice leafminers. More accurately, notice the mines, I’ve yet to see the miners.
His comment on the less you move, the more you see is so correct! I’ve seen many new and (to me) incredible things by being still and looking.

3 Likes

Whoops, totally misspelled Charley’s name. Sorry about that! I’ve updated my post.

2 Likes

Hooray for Charley! I must confess I knew about leafminers before iNat, but that’s only because Charley is local to me. If you ever have have a chance to hear him give a talk, make sure you go to it!

4 Likes

Lol, I thought I was the one who mixed it up, so I edited mine prematurely

1 Like

I love this:

“I would love to put out a major message: If you see evidence of things eating and living on your plants, that is a good thing.”

That sums up the paradigm shift we need when thinking about gardening. The more native species, the more holes and mines you’ll see in the leaves, and that’s a good thing. Gardens full of non-native plants with hardly any insect damage just seem dead.

For those interested, others (including me), inspired and encouraged by Charley, have set up leafminer projects for other parts of the world too. Just don’t hold your breath for an identification to species - adding the plant ID will increase the chances of identification at some point:

Australian Leaf Miners
Leafminers of Africa
Leafminers of Europe
Leafminers of South America

6 Likes

Charley has been so helpful with identifying leafmines(I post a lot of them)! Great to see a naturalist get major recognition outside of the Inat community and other naturalist publications!
Could I see the article link?

It’s in the first line of my original post (“Nice article”). Because it’s a gift link and not a direct public link to the article, it’s a really long URL so I didn’t want to paste the whole thing.

2 Likes

Also Leafminers of Asia, but there’re only a few observations now.

3 Likes

Excellent, I hadn’t seen that one! It’s looking a bit better now - I threw in a bunch more observations.

1 Like

Great article! And Charley, thanks for all your help.

1 Like

Thoroughly enjoyed the article–informative and fun. Congratulations to Charley–he certainly deserves the recognition.

1 Like

Great article and so important to show all the firms of life around us. In the US there seems to be an obsession with making everything neat and manicured which ends up being lifeless. If you google leaf miners the first things that come up are pest control sites.

Thanks for the link and thanks Charley!

Thank you

@ceiseman Congratulations

Some quotes deserve to be re-quoted or on a T shirt

> it’s the little things that matter most.

or
`

> ancient, intimate relationships.

Paraphrased
Naturalists - insatiably curious

`and the popular

“the little things that run the world,” in the words of the biologist E.O. Wilson.

“They’re somehow convincing the plant to do all their work for them.”

while humans are kind of cajoling, bullying and then even warring on plants to make them do some work.

I am stoping with the quotes now as there is a danger of repeating the whole article here.

However I think today I will post my first leaf miner growing on an Himalayan Hedera Ivy :-)

Thank you @tiwane for sharing this

`

2 Likes

New York Times has a great article on leafminers and galls featuring our own @ceiseman and talking about iNaturalist. It’s a great article - I think I’m going to have to go order the book now.

This link should allow you to read it even if you don’t have a subscription.

1 Like